What's new

What is the purpose of anamorphic 1.66:1? (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
My DVD player has the ability to take that 4x3 image (that's using all 720 x 480 pixels for the 4x3 picture) and slap electronic black-bars on the left/right sides, put it in a 16x9 frame, and send it to my 16x9 TV.
David, what player are you using? Does your player automatically make this adjustment? If I understand it correctly this means that if I used your player it would display 4:3 dvds on my 16:9 FP correctly without my having to change to 4:3 mode, right?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

YES.

That's exactly why I bought the Pansonic RP91 DVD player. It is among the handful of progressive-scan DVD players out there that have this type of aspect-ratio-control and can convert every DVD image to "16x9" for your TV so your TV can just stay put in 16x9 mode without ever changing.

It only works when running 480P...but naturally that's why I wanted it to begin with...so I could run 480P into my set and have all my DVD images properly positioned/displayed.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
DaViD Boulet
*slaps forehead, due to stupidity*

David B.: I've seen your name on here a million times (with the "V" and second "D" capitalized), and never once realized WHY you did it that way...until now. Funny, the things one overlooks. :)

(Guess I could do the same thing. Now...if my name were only "Dave Van Dork", which I feel like now anyway, I'd really be digitally set!) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks