What happens when you listen to a DD5.1 soundtrack on a 7.1 system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph_Mikhail, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

Does anything come out of the rear surround speakers? Or do you have to use PLII with a two channel source?

2. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

Yes, something will come out of the center back speakers.

A Dolby Surround EX disc is NOT a 6.1 channel recording. It is a 5.1 channel recording with a center back signal matrix-encoded into the existing surround channels. The decoder (either Dolby Surround EX or the receiver's automatic decoder) extracts a center back channel using a process that is essentially identical to the way Dolby Pro Logic extracts a center channel from a stereo recording.

When you play a 5.1 channel disc, either of these decoders will still extract a center back channel signal -- just like Dolby Pro Logic derives a center channel signal from a stereo CD or FM broadcast.

Dolby's Surround EX decoder tends to put a little too much in the center back channel. Some of the auomatic proprietary decoders reportedly do a better job of spreading the surround signal around to all of the surround speakers by using algorithms like the wide mode of Pro Logic II.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

It depends on the receiver and the settings you are using. If you have it in a straight 5.1 mode, then nothing will come out of the rear center. However I think most processors can still pull a rear channel out of a regular 5.1 soundtrack without much trouble. They should have some sort of matrixed mode that will do that processing. DD5.1 and 7.1 soundtracks have nothing to do with Dolb Pro-Logic 2. DPL2 is also meant to take a stereo signal to 5 channel, and again it would be up to the receiver to pull out a rear center for that mode.

4. Joseph_Mikhail

What if your receiver doesn't do DD EX. I have a HK 520 and have been thinking about upgrading to 7.1. I guess I can use DTS ES or Logic 7 in 7.1 mode.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Joseph- Keith is correct. But I'll add a little more. Logic 7 will also fill the rear speaker(s). And modes like CES for Outlaw's new pre/pro, and xS for Rotel's new one.

But, I do believe that HK's implementation of Logic 7 can only be used with 2 channel sources. I think there was a big thread about this not too long ago.

It is *possible* to apply DD EX decoding to a DD disc, or DTS-ES decoding to a DTS disc. But if there is a lot of common, in-phase material in the 2 surround channels, that info is removed and sent to the rear(s).

That's why, in general, it's best to decode "std" DD/DTS discs with a mode specifically meant to "expand" 5.1 sources to 6.1/7.1.

Save DD EX and DTS-ES for disc specifically encoded that way.

6. Joseph_Mikhail

7. Harold_C

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

HC- I suppose it would depend on how good the original mastering was. I think that in an *ideal* world, a disc specifically mastered to DD EX/DTS-ES "standards", *should* sound better than using a generic matrix expansion mode on a 6.1/7.1 system. But of course, ymmv... [​IMG]

9. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

10. Harold_C

11. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

12. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

My question is what are the best 6.1/7.1 "generic" receivers out there. Any ideas?

13. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    What if they want a sound to come out of all three of the back channels?

Also, do most 7.1 receivers allow you to feed the back channels of 5.1 mixes into all four back speakers without using EX/ES decoding (SL out of two speakers and SR out of two speakers) and is this desireable?

14. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Aaron, good question ,however from what I have discovered , the answer is NO...While Denon has 2 sets of surrounds and another set for surround back, you would have to employ 5 surrounds to use 4 as 5.1 (out of 2 sets of surrounds) while also allowing for 6.1 ...for so called 7.1 with denon you would need 6 surround speakers to do what you are refering to...WAF?!!!!

There is one rcvr that can do (easily) what you are asking

B&K's AVR307......

15. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Aaron- And modes like CES by Outlaw and xS by Rotel are *designed* to spread the 2 surround channels of DD or DTS (or even DD 2.0/DPL/2 channel stereo however encoded) through up to 4 (surround/rear) channels. Most receivers (now) do have equivalent modes.