What's new

Weird Ninja Turtles on DVD news byte.... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Apparently it's out on Region two DVD. The store is supposedly reputable, and probably wouldn't sell bootleg copies according to the message board this news was posted on. Only strange thing is, with DVD's capacity to hold at least 7 high quality eps, they only contain two. Probably just direct dupes from the VHS tapes...
Anyone wanna try ordering one of these things, assuming you can read the site it's being sold on, and give us a report?
http://www.discshop.se/LIVE/shop/ds_...ang=&id=32807&

Travis D

Second Unit
I like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but I don't know about these so-called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles that the box advertises. ;)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Teenage mutant ninja turtles was renamed to Teenage mutant hero turtles in Europe

I think mostly due to an attempt in the UK to shield children from everything that is generally fighting related (Think removing headbutts from Mulan etc) and the name involving ninja was not acceptable.

I sound a little vague because I can never remember the exact reasons given...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Given that they're Swedish dub-only, I don't think you'd want them anyway

Basically it's the BBFC's wacky policies, and they follow suit for the rest of Europe

James Reader

Screenwriter
Basically it's the BBFC's wacky policies
The renaming of Ninja to Hero was not a result of a BBFC ruling, as the name change was made for British television, which the BBFC has no influence on.
This can lead to the quite bizarre situation where a children's drama like 'Grange Hill' shown on major Network TV at around 5.00pm can quite happily show headbutts, while films like Attack of the Clones cannot (for the desired certification, anyway).
I'm not quite sure why the name change was made, but I think it was voluntary - I suspect it had more to do with the toy sales than the broadcast media.
Of course, nobody would care less about the use of the word 'Ninja' these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks