What's new

We Need More Musicals !!! (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Recently got the DVD of Calamity Jane - better picture and sound than the laser version. I want all of the Doris Days films from Warner Bros.
We also need
Fox - Star, Hello Dolly, Alice Faye Films, Betty Grable films, the best things in life are free

MGM/Warners - Kismet (with the two missing numbers), More Judy Garland, Debbie Reynolds films, Silk Stockings, bells are Ringing

Warners- Camelot 9 remastered with the ORIGINAL soundtrack please!), My Fair Lady with a better sounding soundtrack and without all of that damn reverb on every musical number!)

Paramount - Half in Sixpence (uncut, stereo), lil Abner, Darling lili (the UNCUT version please - NOT the cut one running on cable)

Columbia - My Sister Eileen, lost Horizon ( so bad people love it)

and anything with Fred Astaire

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Joe,
Great minds think alike!

"THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE" is one helleva under rated Musical. Fox must have worked on it recently because it was run on TV here a couple of weeks back in a beautiful Letterboxed transfer with true Stereo Sound.

"HALF A SIXPENCE" Roadshow version. PLEASE PARAMOUNT!!

"MY SISTER EILEEN" an Anamorphic release please Columbia.
The old laserdisc has poor colors but good sound.

"SILK STOCKINGS" would be a winner for Warners

"HIGH SOCIETY" a natural for DVD

"FINIAN'S RAINBOW" roadshow version a must

"HELLO DOLLY!" is coming to region 1 this year I believe.
Please Fox don't use the print that has been used in the recent region 2 and region 4 DVD releases, as it is truly ugly(so bad that I returned it to the store)
You will cop a lot of flack if you release the same disgusting quality version. Also could you please include some extras with region 1, as the region 2 & 4 release is a pitiful bare bones edition.

FOX-Betty Grable and Alice Faye double sets would be great.
Especially "Moon over Miami" and "Hello Frisco Hello"

PARAMOUNT & UNIVERSAL Where are the Bing Crosby musicals?
One of the greatest recording artists and movie stars of all time and yet virtually nothing.

"NEW FACES" has been missing for years. I would truly love to see the exciting Eartha Kit again.

I just pray that Warner's will open their vaults and start releasing all of those fabulous MGM Musicals.
They could maybe release double sets just as MGM-UA did with many of their Laserdiscs.

MUSICALS PLEASE !! THERE IS A MARKET, THEY CAN MAKE MONEY!!

"Lost Horizon"??? Hmm, must be a misprint.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Some musicals I wouldn't mind seeing on DVD:

Columbia: Annie (properly framed SE); Oliver! (remastered SE)

Disney: The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band (restored to its originally intended length)

Fox: Star! (with all the LD extras), All that Jazz (supposed to be coming), South Pacific (original roadshow length, ANAMORPHIC), remastered Rodgers & Hammerstein films (anamorphic SEs)

MGM: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (widescreen SE)

Universal: Flower Drum Song

Warner: Meet Me In St. Louis (with all the LD extras), Summer Stock

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately the uncut South Pacific does not exist in an easily transferrable version. All of the negatives for this film are the cut version. I found most of the missing footage back in 1991 and later found the soundtrack.
this film needs to be restored to full length and returned to the broadway continuity ( this continuity is used in every country except North America).

Friends tell me that Universal is already working on three musicals for DVD- Sweet Charity, Thoroughly MOdern Millie, and Flower Drum Song. I can't wait. ( please use 4.0 sound for all three - NOt Dolby two channel mixdowns.)

One and Only Family Band remixed for stereo would also be wonderful

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Warner:
A remastered version of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS in 16:9 enhanced wide screen, along with the making of special that aired on television some years back.
SILK STOCKINGS and THE BAND WAGON would also be excellent.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone pick up Anchor Bay's CLIFF RICHARD COLLECTION, which contains 3 musicals from the early 60's (THE YOUNG ONES, SUMMER HOLIDAY, WONDERFUL LIFE). I'd never seen the films before and was quite pleasantly surprised by their old-fashioned nature and excellent dance numbers. And the transfers are immaculate.

Check them out!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
My Fair Lady with a better sounding soundtrack and without all of that damn reverb on every musical number
That's probably a byproduct of the restoration. All that was left of the soundtrack was a 70mm magnetic print master, from which the re-release's DD and DTS 5.1 tracks were made from. Robert Harris could probably better explain what had to be done with the sound than I could (I just saw the making-of special)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Though I know I'm wasting my breath, but I can dream can't I, so here goes,
Warners if ever you get around to the MGM Musicals, the very top of my beg list would have to be,

"Two Weeks with Love" ( as a kid I fell in love with Debbie Reynolds in this charming musical)

"Summer Holiday" My number one all time favorite musical. Walter Huston and Mickey Rooney and a score by Harry Warren that I regard as his greatest ever.

"Belle of New York" Fred Astaire in a silly but harmless bit of nonsense, but one that contains wonderful songs by Harry Warren ( his second best score ever)

Also,
Jumbo, The Bandwagon, Easter Parade, Athena, Brigadoon (16x9 remastered), 7 Brides for 7 Bros (16X9 remaster with the choice of Cinemascope and the alternative matted flat version, which in my opinion looks better), Showboat ( remastered with the stereo track, the present disc looks and sounds awful), Lovely To Look At, For Me and My Gal, Hit the Deck, Three little Words, Royal Wedding, Kiss me Kate ( that would have to be a must) Lili, Words and Music ( please no noise gating, the sound on the last laserdisc is a disgrace and is totally unlistenable) Till the Clouds Roll By, Summer Stock, Pagan Love Song, Deep in My Heart and Zeigfeld Follies.

IF ONLY !!! At least with the exception of Pagan Love Song, we still have the old laserdiscs to watch.

That's good news, if it's true about the Universal musicals, might be able to get rid of my miserable, soft, Pan and Scan Laserdisc versions now.
Let's hope that we get the full roadshow versions of all 3 complete with Overture, Intermission and Exit Music.
Universal might also consider The Glenn Miller Story with it's original Stereo soundtrack.

And finally, where's Columbia's best box office musical of all time, "The Jolson Story"?

ps.
Matthew, my Cliff Richard collection is on it's way.
I'm looking forward to all 3 movies, as I have always enjoyed them.
They were considered a bit too square at the time for the young audiences, because of all the Hollywood style singing and dancing.
They have been run on TV here in Pan and Scan and with faded colors for years, so I look forward to seeing them in widescreen with bright colors.

Thanks Anchor Bay, now bring on the Tommy Steele titles that you have the rights to.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Doug,
Glad to see you're awake, I completely forgot to mention the flat version of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS in my post up above. Hopefully Warner will do right by SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS and release a collector's edition of the film with both versions in 16:9 enhanced wide screen.
Also, BRIGADOON needs a 16:9 enhanced remaster, and I'd really love to see everything you mentioned in your post on DVD, especially KISS ME KATE, THE BAND WAGON and EASTER PARADE.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Do musical films really sell so poorly on DVD? Only a handful of titles have been released over the last few years. I would think some would do well besides "Grease"

Hello,Dolly! (Been rumored for years)
Porgy and Bess (Never on video)
A Chorus Line (Region 2) needs letterboxing
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (Region 4?)

Others may not sell so well, but I'd still buy them:
Damn Yankees (WB)
Finian's Rainbow (WB - Fred Astaire)
Kiss Me Kate (MGM WB)
Li'l Abner (Paramount)
Man of La Mancha (MGM/UA)
Call Me Madam (Irving Berlin color FOX musical starring Ethel Merman and Donald O'Connor - political satire still holds up - never released on video)

Matthew,
Columbia'a "Annie" (1982) has been corrected, the new DVD is indistinguishable from the old until you play it, but the picture is much better and the framing has been corrected.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Friends tell me that Universal is already working on three musicals for DVD- Sweet Charity, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Flower Drum Song.
Good thinking, Universal, since all 3 will be on Broadway this coming season.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm thrilled that Sweet Charity is in the works - that has terrific Fosse dance numbers I can watch over and over again. I hope they include the alternate ending as a bonus.
Here are 5 others I want:
Meet Me in St. Louis, Bells Are Ringing, Pennies from Heaven, Kiss Me Kate, High Society

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Greg,
"The best little Whorehouse in Texas" has been released here in OZ as a budget priced, pan and scan, Mono mess.

"Hello Dolly" has also just been released here, in 2.35:1 Anamorphic and 4 channel DD sound, but it has been taken from a really poor quality print.
The colors are mostly ugly, it is very soft and has edge enhancement.

The estate of George Gershwin I believe have said no to "Porgy and Bess", because they consider the movie to be an absolute stinker.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there might be legal problems with "Call me Madam"
It was run on TV here about a month ago, but looked to be in desperate need of a restoration.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Derek,
Like you with Seven Brides, I forgot to mention the same thing with "Brigadoon".

Let's hope that Warners gives us a DVD that features both a remastered 16x9 Cinemascope Version and the Alternative Flat version.

I saw the flat version of "Brigadoon" once and it looked great.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I can't even begin to list the musicals I'd like to see on DVD; SWEET CHARITY etc. from Universal is a very heartening development, but if they really want to shock us they could release their early Technicolor KING OF JAZZ (1930)--Bing Crosby's first screen appearance. Hey, I can dream. As for the other studios, I wish Paramount would grant us LIL ABNER (Lord knows I keep suggesting it on Paramount-related threads), and PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (1981) from WB (having been an MGM release-- I assume WB has the rights). Fox would be very considerate supplying us with Alice Faye and Betty Grable titles. There are alot of lesser known musicals that deserve attention; just watch TCM for awhile and you'll see. :) One thing is obvious--musicals are as good a market as any for studios to cater to regularly. We spend. :D

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Doug,
Would love to see some sort of Special Edition action on both SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS and BRIGADOON. Both films should offer both CinemaScope and flat versions in 16:9 enhanced wide screen. SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS has a making of special from 1997 that should be included on the DVD, and since much of the cast & crew is still alive, it would be nice if as many of them as possible could be gathered for an audio commentary. As for BRIGADOON, if either Cyd Charisse or Van Johnson are up for it, it would be nice if an interview or commentary track could be included.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Barry,
Don't be too frustrated about L'IL ABNER, I've been dropping hints to Paramount for that title since the days of Laserdisc.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
It would be interesting to find out from Studio Representatives, just why there are so few Musicals released on DVD.

Is it because of the complications and costs involved in getting Music/song/artist clearances?

Surely that cannot be the excuse from the Studios that own associated Music Companies ( Such as Paramount and Famous Music)
I may be wrong, but I have the feeling that FOX may have made the big mistake of selling off all of their exclusive Music ownership many moons ago.
They must now regret it, if that is the case.

DVD may have started out as a niche market for the Movie Buffs and for the younger community with a love for Science Fiction, Horror and Action, but things are changing and DVDs are fast becoming the number one Home Entertainment medium for all ages and tastes.

Musicals are loved by Millions and are an important part of DVD's expansion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks