What's new

Want $20 back on those cd's (Settlement) (1 Viewer)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Did you purchase any music between 1995 and 2000?
(Did you purchase a Music Product, defined as a prerecorded compact disc, a cassette or a vinyl album)? If so, you're eligible for a settlement of $5-$20 from the music companies as part of a class-action lawsuit.
Here is the link for more information or to file a claim.
The claim is very easy.
As of yesterday our local CBS radio station had one of the men in charge to handling the claims, He said, at this time fewer then 30,000 people have filed.
So at this time everyone will get the $20 max.
The claim must be made prior to March 03
http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/english/default.htm

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I filed a claim. It's been at least a couple of years since I last bought a CD but with the date going back to '95 there's no telling how many I bought back then.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
When this was posted earlier, I filed a claim for myself (I have to remind my family members). With so few people making claims at this point, maybe we will see some money. I have a sneaking suspiciion though, that as we get closer to the deadline more and more news agencies will run reports on the settlement and how to cash in, resulting in zero dollars for anyone.

J

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter

Agreed, I live in Minnesota home of the firm that is taking the claims feel that everyone should get some cash,
The max is $20 and it would take a ton of people just to drop that to the min of $5 each.
Anything less then $5 they say just is not cost effective to cut and mail all those checks.
That is why at that time the cash portion of the settlement would just go to charity.
Minor children within your home can also file a claim.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Is that site really legitimate? It wouldn't just be someone trying to collect names and email addresses and the last bits of your social security numbers, would it?

Chuck L

Screenwriter
While I did just fill out all of the information, this almost reminds me of the Milli Vanilli deal...If you recall, if you were pissed over what happened Arista would refund you $2.00 for the tape or CD. Luckily I didn't have to claim that because I didn't buy into them to begin with.

But, on the other hand, being a DJ both in clubs and mobile stuff, a $20 settlement on the 1000's of CD's that I have had to purchase isn't nearly enough.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
The SETTLEMENT APPROVED!
http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/english/default.htm
;)
Looks like we get something back.
Update – July 9, 2003
** SETTLEMENT APPROVED ***
To receive any reimbursement under these settlements, you must have mailed or filed a claim on-line with the Settlement Administrator. The Court approved deadline for submitting a claim for reimbursement under the settlements has now passed.
The Final Settlement Hearing was held on May 22, 2003, and the Settlement was approved on June 13, 2003. You can view the Judge's order by clicking here.
http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/english/donspccaf.pdf
An Order Regarding Claims was issued on July 2, 2003. To view the Order Regarding Claims, click here.
http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/eng...dingclaims.pdf
The Final Judgment and Order was issued on July 9, 2003. To view the Final Judgment and Order, click here.
http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/eng...gmentorder.pdf
A cash settlement will be available for consumers that have submitted valid claim forms by mail or filed valid claims online. We are currently processing and validating the claims received. Until this process is completed, we are unable to determine the individual reimbursement amount. If you are eligible, the amount of your refund will depend upon the number of valid claims filed. Absent the filing of an appeal, it is anticipated that reimbursement checks will be mailed in late-summer or early-fall 2003. If you filed a claim that has been deemed ineligible or incomplete, notification will be mailed to you.
If your address has changed since you filed your Claim Form, please send notice of the change to the following address:
Compact Disc MAP Antitrust Litigation Administrator
PO Box 1650
Faribault, MN 55021-1650
This Web site will be updated as new information becomes available.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I won't believe it until I have a check in my hands (for whatever paltry amount it turns out to be). I have a feeling that by the time the "processing costs" are determined, the only ones with anything will be the lawyers. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks