What's new

VOOM satellite system w/no contract (1 Viewer)

Rick Samundsen

Stunt Coordinator
I recieved an e-mail last night with Voom's latest promotions. This time you don't own/buy the equipment, you lease it and the contract is month to month like the Dish network promo. However there is a $9.50 per month charge per reciever. But the 24 High DEF. CHANNEL programming is what makes the deal in the first place. The Monster channel sounds cool. You also get 47 Cable Favorite channels in non hd format and there adding new ones all the time. Their basically only missing SCI FI/USA network and they may get that next month. You also get 18 music channels. All this for $39.90 per month + $9.50 reciever charge. If you want to add showtime/homebox/cinemax/stars/movie channel etc.. in HD/non hd it's about $15 per package. Or you could get the Va vA Voom package that includes everything for around $79.90. You also get an antenna for OTA HD channels and no cost for installation. However, there is a charge for the larger OTA antenna if required. This promo expires 5/31. This sure beats buying their equipment for $849.

Rick

Camm

Grip
sounds like a good deal...i will have to look at getting rid of dtv before i do this though. do you have to have this hooked up to a phone line like dtv? i wouldnt think so since there is no ppv

Rick Samundsen

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it needs to get updates and that usually takes place late in the evening from the phone line. It could be a pain if no phone outlet is available in the same room as the reciever. But then again, one can always run a home-run from outside the house or from another room.

Rick

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I have voom at my house with 5 receivers. OTA here is via a Channelmaster 4228 8-bay antenna (the "stealth" one they originally provided didn't work at all at my location). Honestly, the voom channels are horrible, don't get it for those ones. One channel will play 1 movie the entire day, then a new movie the next day, and then go back to the first movie on the 3rd day. Repetition repetition repetition.

Mine isn't hooked up to any phone lines. The scheduling and everything is downloaded directly from the satellite.

Camm

Grip
so my question realy is how is the quality of the sd and hd channels with voom...with directv every channel is slightly blurred (not willing to fork out the dough for a hd box when my regular channels look like crap) they said its my tv but was crystal clear with cox cable 4 weeks ago?

Rick Samundsen

Stunt Coordinator
Are there anymore people who would like to give their first hand impressions with the Voom system?

Gabriel,
What seems to be the problem concerning Vooms HD quality? Five recievers is a big system, have you had it long? Do you own the recievers or are you leasing them? Did you pay extra for the better OTA antenna and was it worth it in the end?

I was told that the motorolla reciever requires a phone hook-up. Hopefuly I was misinformed.

Rick

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The SD channels are actually very good with voom. I'm kinda surprised (and happy). HD channel quality is very very good. I don't think they compress the stream as much as directv & dish (and definitely as not as the local cable HDTV). There's really no complaint on quality, it's the programming on the Voom only HDTV channels. I think I've watched those channels maybe a total of 3 hours (between the 30 or so channels) in all of the time I've had the system.

I own the receivers, but I think I'm going to cancel. OTA is beautiful with the CM4228, and I find I enjoy the primetime programming the most in HD. Perhaps I'll try Dish, since they have some good promotions and no commitments.

I originally ordered in November of 03, but they didn't any part of it installed until Jan (and even then took 3 weeks).

I did not pay extra for the better OTA antenna. They supply a better OTA antenna for free as long as it's under $45 or so, which the absolutely excellent ChannelMaster 8-Bay 4228 is. The original stealth antenna was horrible. I got ZERO channels with it at my location. You may be much luckier at your location.

The receiver requires a phone hookup for pay per view. I don't think it requires the phone for anything else, but I could be wrong.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'd consider this if they had Hi Def locals, getting them here is problamatic even with an antenna. Comcast here for which I am shelling out about $88 a month has HBO/Cinemax, INHD1 &2, Nesn in HD (Bruins and RED SOX) , a CBS,NBC,and PBS affiliate, just missing the ABC, and ESPN. We just got 8 Red Sox games in Hi def last year, this year all Home games are in Hi Def and I don't think I can give that up.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
How tall is the Channelmaster 4228 8-bay antenna?
From the pictures, it looks like my neighbors might have a cow... We live in one of those developments where tall antennas are not allowed.

Camm

Grip
Are you able to get your ota locals in HD with voom's box or do you have to have your own?

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks StephenL... It is funny you bring that up. I was just reading that earlier today and was going to post on it... It looks like, as long as I stay within a 12' height, I will be OK.
Thanks!

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
Another voom related question. I know you could only view the HD channels on an HD TV, but can use use the voom system on a SD TV? We're planning to move so I'lln eed a new system. I'd like to finally get HD, but if it will only work on the HD TV I'd have to get something else for the other TV. Not very cost effective...

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, you can use the HDTV tuner on a SD or ED set. Just use the appropriate video output (ie. Svideo, Composite). I had the same question for the Voom rep. I will be getting two receivers, one for my HDTV and one for my SD TV.
I would bet one cannot use TIVO because isn't that a receiver in itself? I don't know much about TIVO, but I know my DISH PVR will not work with it.

Chun Lam

Agent
Question for you Voom subscribers: does the package include ESPN HD? I couldn't imagine it includes Comcast Sports Net HD. It does say "Comcast" after all...

Thanks!

Rick Samundsen

Stunt Coordinator
Voom News Flash: 4 new channels have been added. I just recieved this e-mail.

1)Bravo HD+
2)Bravo SD
3)CNBC SD
4)MSNBC SD

Hopefully SCI-FI/USA will be next. Well there you have it. If you need more info. go to voom.com

Rick

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Argh. I cancelled my installation, temporarily. My wife would rather have an SD signal with a PVR than an HD one without. As soon as the Voom PVR is out, I will reschedule.
I called Dish Network to see if they could even come close to Voom's deal. They can't really, but they did offer me the Dish 811(?) box for $99. Their HDTV PVR isn't out yet either. Dish does offer locals via satellite though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks