What's new

Using Y Adaptor for Multi-Channel Analog Inputs (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
I seem to remember some members suggesting these to connect both SACD and DVD-A multi-channel inputs to a receiver that only accepts one set:

Link to Radio Shack Y Adaptor

Does this work or is there a reason that I should not do this?

RolandM

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, looks like a piggy-back cable would accomplish the same thing.

There are two reasons (I can think of) not to do this but I'm not sure whether they would be a big deal or not...

One is that by connecting two outputs to one input, something is going to happen to the (overall) impedance of the input. I don't think this would be an issue to be worried about, but it could be--it might alter some frequencies or result in a lower level input. I'm no expert on what would happen exactly but I think those could be some of the things that could occur...

The other thing I thought about is that if both units are on (or even if the outputs of either unit are active when it is off/in standby) then the signals from both units would be shorting together, no? I don't think this would cause a problem but isn't there some small chance the outputs on one or both of the units would get damaged this way? Again I'm no expert on that...

I know if you are trying to combine signals (as in trying to connect/combine stereo output (L/R) RCAs to a mono input then you have to have a resistor of some sort in the connection for it to work safely/properly). But in this case you aren't even trying to combine signals, just get two inputs into one...

It should work though I would think, but what audible or damage-related shortcomings this way of doing it could create (as opposed to using a real switcher), I'm not completely certain.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There’s no danger of damage - that’s certain. However, there could be an impedance issue, as Roland noted. How or whether that would affect the sound I don’t know. One thing’s for sure, though, I’d make sure the unit not it use was turned off.

It’ll only cost you $40 or so to find out. Fortunately RS has a generous return policy.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
People who used similar devices reported a great loss of loudness,[or "voltage" drop],I'm sure it has to do with the already mentioned input impedance changes this can cause.
I never tried this myself though,I bought a uni player instead. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks