Using Y Adaptor for Multi-Channel Analog Inputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Lin Park, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Jan 31, 1999
    I seem to remember some members suggesting these to connect both SACD and DVD-A multi-channel inputs to a receiver that only accepts one set:

Link to Radio Shack Y Adaptor

Does this work or is there a reason that I should not do this?
  2. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Jan 21, 2003
    Hmm, looks like a piggy-back cable would accomplish the same thing.

There are two reasons (I can think of) not to do this but I'm not sure whether they would be a big deal or not...

One is that by connecting two outputs to one input, something is going to happen to the (overall) impedance of the input. I don't think this would be an issue to be worried about, but it could be--it might alter some frequencies or result in a lower level input. I'm no expert on what would happen exactly but I think those could be some of the things that could occur...

The other thing I thought about is that if both units are on (or even if the outputs of either unit are active when it is off/in standby) then the signals from both units would be shorting together, no? I don't think this would cause a problem but isn't there some small chance the outputs on one or both of the units would get damaged this way? Again I'm no expert on that...

I know if you are trying to combine signals (as in trying to connect/combine stereo output (L/R) RCAs to a mono input then you have to have a resistor of some sort in the connection for it to work safely/properly). But in this case you aren't even trying to combine signals, just get two inputs into one...

It should work though I would think, but what audible or damage-related shortcomings this way of doing it could create (as opposed to using a real switcher), I'm not completely certain.
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    There’s no danger of damage - that’s certain. However, there could be an impedance issue, as Roland noted. How or whether that would affect the sound I don’t know. One thing’s for sure, though, I’d make sure the unit not it use was turned off.

It’ll only cost you $40 or so to find out. Fortunately RS has a generous return policy.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Jul 28, 1999
    People who used similar devices reported a great loss of loudness,[or "voltage" drop],I'm sure it has to do with the already mentioned input impedance changes this can cause.
    I never tried this myself though,I bought a uni player instead. [​IMG]