What's new

Time to run for cover. My daughter just took her first driving lesson (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
I don't understand how some people can't drive. Its not that hard.
You haven't met my daughter. :) Example: Last year, for my 10 year olds birthday party, we took all the kids to a place with miniature golf, bumper boat rides, etc. Well, this place has one of those car tracks where the kids all get to drive around. All of my daughter's nine and ten year old friends had no problems negotiating the turns, but my sweetie pie teenaged daughter just wobbled all over the place, eventually crashing into the pit stop. And, the thing is, she's kind of an athlete too.

Gotta go with Todd here. My youngest daughter plays all those video games and we own a few race car types. My oldest daughter won't have anything to do with them. Have to get her to use the controller and do Indy 500, or whatever it's called, before I take her out again. :D

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"You are responsible (read that liable) for your teenage driver, before and after they have their license."

Not only this but any accident she has under your policy will effect your rates.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I never could understand why some people have such a hard time driving either. During drivers ed we were in groups when we went out to drive. There was this one girl, man I thought we were all going to die. Flying down an offramp in heavy traffic just barely missing sliding along the guardrail. That girl was psycho.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
When I lived in Penn and took my drivers test I opted for the closed course test. The girl in front of me was terrible. She wasn't even allowed to finish, she kept on hitting the curb, accelerating to fast, braking to hard, knocking down cones (the kind that pop back up). When she returned to the parking place the State Police officer who was testing her got out of the car and told her mom she failed. This is where it got interesting. The mom freaked out and started yelling at the officer so loud other police came out of the building. The officer explained the scoring and sad she just needs some practice and a little confidence in her abilities. He was trying so hard to be diplomatic. Then the mother started again with her favorite 4 letter words, and stated that her daughter was agood driver because she taught her herself. The officer just looked and her and said "Well that explains everything, I suggest you join her in learning how to drive" And walked away.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Some people are just very uncomfortable behind the wheel. Therefore make mistakes. Like when you are driving and a cop is on your bumper, you feel more uncomfortable and you notice your not driving as well.

And some people just have no cordination. They are the ones that when going to the ATM, hit the poles next to it and scrape their tires and cars down the whole side.

DeT

Agent
When I took my driver ed class in high school. This girl drive onto someone front yard as she was making a right turn :)
The first time I drive, I was taking a left turn really fast, I thought I was gonna hit the curb, but the instructor hit the brake on time.

When I teach my sister how to drive, I took her to a really big parking lot and let her hit the gas/brake as hard as she can. Give her lots of confidence.

DanaA

Screenwriter
DeT,

Yeah, I think that's the best plan. She seems to exaggerate her turning too much. As I was driving today, I tried to get her to see that you almost glide the car through turns and curves, rather than turn drastically. Parking lots are the way to go for her. We'll get her through this though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Also, just because someone is now over the legal age to drive, it doesn't mean they should be unleashed on the unsuspecting public until they fully understand their relationship with the car (i.e. the brake and accelator pedal, and the steering wheel, at a minimize), but can also handle their emotions behind the wheel (i.e. doesn't panic to point of irrational responses/actions, and doesn't get flustered by other drivers). Seriously, some people require more lessons and training before they should be driving on their own. The parent should spend all the time necessary to make sure their children truly knows how to handle themselves in the car. Insurance can only replace so much.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Teenaged daughter driving update:

Decided to take her out in a quiet residential area today. At first, she was a little hesitant, especially insecure and unsteady about making turns. Then, I told her to face the nose of the car always in the direction she wanted to go and to be gentle in her turning so as not to oversteer the thing.

IT WORKED!!! :b

Apparently, she thought her instructor had told her to REALLY turn the wheel every time she wanted to even make the slightest veer. This caused her to be all over the place. Now, she suddenly was handling the car smoothly and gently. She stayed completely in her lanes and maneuvered the car gracefully.

IT'S GONNA HAPPEN. I'M SURE. SHE'LL BE AN ABLE DRIVER!

I'm such a proud Papa right now.

I'll probably have her work for at least 5-10 hours in such uncongested areas, or until she shows she's completely ready. But, the signs are that I won't have to worry forever. I now believe.

David McGough

Second Unit
Just wait till you hear the CD's she will be listening to.
I moved my girl's Bug to get out and there was this nasty
I mean nasty rap music playing. I went in the house raised cain. Daughter said Dad that's not to bad. You ought to hear snoop doggy poop or somebody like that.

Your in for a new awakening.
I wanted to put in a Grand Funk Railroad 8 track so she could her some good tunes.

dmac

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just try teaching her to drive stick. I had to take my driver's test in stick over a month ago, and it wasn't that bad.

Of course, I had only started to really try to learn how to use it a week before the test.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I went in the house raised cain.
That's precisely why they listen to it, because they know their parents wouldn't approve.

You should have said, "Man, honey, I *LOVE* that CD you had playing in your car. Can you burn me a copy so I can listen in mine?" If that alone isn't enough, you should then proceed to learn some of the lyrics so you can embarass her by singing it around her friends and saying how "cool" you think it is.

Then watch how fast that CD hits the trash. :D

DanaA

Screenwriter
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks