What's new

The Mule (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's OK, it isn't great. In some ways I guess you are supposed to root for Earl, but I just couldn't; his wife/daughter were too one note and his grand daughter was seemingly too forgiving in light of all of it. The story just didn't all hang together. It just came off like a jumbled mess. Great concept though.

Decided to finally see The Mule on Monday night after cancelling tickets a few times over the last month or so for it. I wasn't looking forward to it-I'm not an Eastwood fan-but figured, why not? The worst that can happen is I don't like it.

And I'd agree...it's OK. I never really got to like Earl as a person; I wasn't put off by his racial remarks. I was more put off by how he has to be the center of attention at all times and have everyone adore/love him. He was never happy with what he has, which led to the situation he found himself in.

Plus, he's a smart guy. He knows how this new job is going to end--he has to know. So why did he put himself on the line? For the money...to give it to people and make them all love him? Because he has nowhere else to go and nothing else to do?

Most of the cast is wasted, including Dianne Wiest, Bradley Cooper, Michael Pena and Laurence Fishburne. I never really felt any of their emotional beats, which is a secondary problem. Do I ever need to see this again? Nope. Do I regret seeing it? Nope.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just saw this movie and I say it's an OK movie. You will get fully entertained and wondering what will happen but at the end if you think about it, it's not consistent. Doesn't have a particular message. Not focused. Nobody learns anything. The overall feeling is that you don't get anything or any satisfaction from the movie.

It had some potential but it's never used. I could have imagined some showy stuff happening at the trial that could have brought some satisfaction but they never did anything. The idea that the defense was trying to say he was old and didn't understand was great. A showy scene where he yells "no, I understand and knew what I was doing, I accept all responsibility for my actions. Why don't you?...". Some stuff like that.

wtuhami

Second Unit
Real Name
Wes
I found this film interesting even though it wasn't that great by Clint Eastwood's standards. Maybe it was a little long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks