What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Home Theater Gods were against me tonight (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I finally broke down, and decided I was going to buy a new TV, so I landed on a 55" Samsung LED. Oh, man, was I loving this TV. I have a large check that I need to deposit (won't go in until Tuesday and then will probably be held 10 days), so I figured I would get the stores credit card, and pay it off as soon as the check cleared. I figured no problem, I have perfect credit.

The sales guy was drooling when I told him I wanted it. I even got to dicker a bit on price. So, over to the credit card terminal, put in my info and DENIED. WTF?????????? My credit score is in the 800's. I try again, DENIED. I check my email, and there is a note from the company saying they couldn't approve my account because they couldn't verify some information. Huh? Try a third time , DENIED.

Ok, let's just try my wife. She also has amazing credit. She inputs her info: DENIED!!!.

There is no logical explanation. I've come home and checked my bureau, and there is nothing derrogatory on either of our accounts. There was no reason to deny us.

So, I walked out without the tv, leaving the salesperson crying over his lost commission.

Somthing tells me that I wasn't supposed to have that tv. Maybe an unexpected expense is coming, or some other issue. Either way, the Home Theater Gods did not smile upon me today.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's a bummer. A lot of credit issuers overextended themselves in the lead up to the Great Recession, and have been scrambling to stay ahead of the defaults once things went south. In some cases, that means that they're denying anybody with verifiably bad credit and anyone -- like yourself -- that they can't find enough information on to fit into their statistical models.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Situation Solved: We went to another retailer, they price matched, no, price beat, and we now have a beautiful large 1080p television in our living room.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Did you determine it was something on the dealer side? If it had been me I would have gone home and called my credit card company and found out what the hell was going on and once that was clear and they were aware a $(however much 55 inches go for these days) charge was coming through I'd be right back at the store.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I was actually applying for a card with the retailer, and was declined a new card. I checked my credit bureau to make sure there was nothing wrong. It must of just been an issue with the retailer's lousy credit card company.

The second retailer had no problem getting me credit, so all is good.

I hate to think how much business the first retailer lost because of their system glitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks