What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Exorcist: Deceiver (2025)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
The sequels are still going forward, some creative changes will be made, Green might not return to direct either sequel.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not sure how many "changes" can be made without completely ignoring the current film. Seems like they set themselves on a path and, even with changes, it'll be hard to overcome the intense dislike of the current movie to get people to come back and pay to see another.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Wow, really? I guess if you want to save this thing put it in good hands. Flanagan did make the second film in the Ouija franchise, which was a prequel called Ouija: Origin of Evil. It is a really good horror film, which was a surprise, because the first film was basically garbage.

If there is any hope of this second film becoming something good out of the ashes of the first picture, Flanagan is the guy to address it. However, I would just throw the first film out the window and start from scratch.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Things you want to exorcise from this new film:

1. Possessed children. Do not go there again.

2. The cast of the last film. Don't need them.

3. Linda Blair. In the world of Mr. Green she would have definitely returned...a huge mistake if they did that.

4. An exorcism. Basically, I know this is what the films are named for but we have seen so many movie exorcisms they are completely bereft of any horror value. I think the focus should be on the nature of evil and faith and you could explore the fallout of doing exorcisms and if that "evil" is gone or just moves on to another place and time.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'd much rather see Mike Flanagan shooting his script for Stephen King's Revival, but so far it seems people think that is too expensive a film to make. I know it is easier to do a franchise film than an original script but Flanagan + King and a larger budget horror film with a solid cast would probably be a money maker.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You mean like Doctor Sleep? That didn't work out so well financially.

Flanagan also directed Gerald's Game for Netflix.

I think Doctor Sleep is an excellent horror film, particularly in the Director's Cut version. Granted, it did not grab the audience it should have but I think over time it will continue to grow a following. I still think someone should do Revival with Flanagan but the guy seems to have a pretty full dance card. I was disappointed because I tried to get two guys that liked The Shining to go with me to see Doctor Sleep and they had no interest. I think they thought there was no point to a Shining sequel and no Jack pretty much meant the movie would not be interesting.

I guess Flanagan has another King story on his plate, The Life of Chuck, but man, for me Revival has the potential to be an all time great horror film.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I think Doctor Sleep is an excellent horror film, particularly in the Director's Cut version. Granted, it did not grab the audience it should have but I think over time it will continue to grow a following. I still think someone should do Revival with Flanagan but the guy seems to have a pretty full dance card. I was disappointed because I tried to get two guys that liked The Shining to go with me to see Doctor Sleep and they had no interest. I think they thought there was no point to a Shining sequel and no Jack pretty much meant the movie would not be interesting.

I guess Flanagan has another King story on his plate, The Life of Chuck, but man, for me Revival has the potential to be an all time great horror film.
I agree the Doctor Sleep is a good film. I enjoyed the throwbacks to The Shining. The death of the child was particularly disturbing. As for The Exorcist sequal(s) I think it is going to be next to impossible to come up with something compelling after the original, the latest sequel and all the previous sequels. Maybe do a story related to the origins of the exorcism ritual set back however many hundreds of years.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I agree the Doctor Sleep is a good film. I enjoyed the throwbacks to The Shining. The death of the child was particularly disturbing. As for The Exorcist sequal(s) I think it is going to be next to impossible to come up with something compelling after the original, the latest sequel and all the previous sequels. Maybe do a story related to the origins of the exorcism ritual set back however many hundreds of years.

Basically, in all the movie exorcisms that have followed it, none come anywhere close to the one Friedkin staged in The Exorcist. It set a bar way too high for anyone else to get over and made all attempts to do so look ridiculous. Of course, Friedkin going first, used up every drop of shock value the ceremony provided and did it through atmosphere, practical effects, and some great acting.

Then you have to consider that The Exorcist is a complete film, delivering fantastic arcs for the characters, a killer story, and a cast that could really deliver the goods. It was not made to start a franchise, it was that thing we rarely see anymore, a truly great standalone story that has no need of a sequel. It was fantastic writing and filmmaking.

The only film that has followed it that made any sense and was a good film was The Exorcist III, and that is primarily due to the writing and Blatty. He did write a third novel that somewhat ties to the Exorcist, but not in any direct way. It's called Dimiter, and it is a good read. It covers ground that involves the struggle with faith and a mysterious seemingly supernatural character but there is no exorcism in it, because, why would this "evil" work in the same way over and over when it can/could operate in many different ways. Personally, I think they should have just worked on that as a new film in the Exorcist universe but...well, then you would not have possessed children and recycled characters and another half-baked attempt at doing a big exorcism.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks