What's new

Tennis at Roland Garros. (The French Open) (1 Viewer)

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Well, after two days of tennis over in France there's no French Open thread so I figured I'd start one up and maybe get a bit of discussion going. Although it doesn't seem like there are that many tennis fans here at the HTF.

While I haven't been able to watch that much of the TV coverage I've been trying to keep up with the news regardless.

The big story on the Men's side of the draw is Andy Roddick going down in the first round for the second straight year. Now for most people that's not very promising, but with that track record at the French, maybe he'll become the next Pete Sampras. :)

I really like Andre Agassi's chances this year, and here's hoping he goes all the way.

On the Women's side, is there anyone who doesn't think that Serena Williams is going to win the tournament? She is so far ahead of the rest of the competition imo, that she'll have to pull an Annika and test herself on the Men's side soon. :)

Lowell

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm rooting for Agassi as always. He's just a walking inspiration to shorter, over-30 bald men everywhere:D
He's got a good draw, and a good shot this year so long as he gets through the first week without getting into 5 set matches.

As for Roddick, I'm not too optimistic about his tennis future because he hasn't progressed as much over the past 2 years as he was expected to do.

And Serena? All you can say is wow. I think John McEnroe is probably the only person alive who thinks Serena can be beaten, and of course he thinks he can do it!

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Serena would get her ass handed to her by most any of the top hundred men. Let's not kid ourselves here.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"she'll have to pull an Annika and test herself on the Men's side soon. "

HAHA!! as stated top 100, not a chance, Top 250, NOPE, top 1000, MaYBE!!

As for John beating Serena, I think he could do it!

Brent

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Puh-lease. The female competition is still good for Serena. It's not like she doesn't break a sweat when she wins. Women's tennis always goes through periods where one woman is dominant. For example, Hingis, Seles, Graf, etc.

Besides, Serena should have no interest in going to the men's side because, unlike other sports, the women's side is the bigger draw.

I love watching tennis for the tennis but I gotta admit that my favorites aren't my favorites because of their tennis skills. They are uber-hotties. Amanda Coetzer, Jelena Dokic, Anna Kournikova...the list goes on and on.:D

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Um, in regard to the Serena/Annika comment, it's called a joke, notice the smiley face. :p)

And man what a match Agassi had. I started watching it live right when Ancic was starting to just destroy Andre in the 2nd set. What a match that Mario Ancic kid had too, Agassi was playing poorly most of the first three sets, but Ancic was just on fire. If he had kept that pace up...

Also what a crowd at that game. You rarely see that much enthusiasm for a Tennis match. I think it definately had an impact on Andre being able to turn things around.

The other up and coming American hopeful, James Blake, also lost today in 4 sets to Ljubicic. Kuerten absolutely dismantled Hicham Arazi 6-1, 6-0, 6-1. It'd be great to see Googa (is that how you spell his nickname?) get back on track and get up to the top of the rankings again.

Lowell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks