What's new

Subtitle problem on my "Pirates Of The Carribean" DVD... Any Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just bought the 2-disc Special Edition along with the bonus "Lost Disc" while on vacation over the holidays and decided to pop it into my player last night and give it a spin.

For some reason, it automatically went into French subtitles so I returned to the main menu and corrected it in setup.

Everything appeared to be fine from here, however at the point early on in the movie, when Jack Sparrow is sailing into town and passes the lagoon with the large rock ledges where he sees 3 skeletons hanging by nooses with a wooden sign, the yellow French subtitles appear again to translate the text on the sign.

I again returned to the setup screen in the main menu and verified that I had selected "no subtitles", I had. I than adjusted the subtitles on my remote setting for my DVD player, first to English, than French just to verify that everything was working correctly, and than to "none". Again, everything played back perfectly fine and as selected... English and French subs appeared and dissaperead at my discretion... except for in this one scene.

It's not a terribly big issue, but still bothersome.

Has anyone else experienced this and are the subs burnt in on the disc? Is it a universal mastering error?

I did a forum search to check if this glitch had been discussed before but found nothing so I assume that I am the only one experiencing it.

Can anyone please offer suggestions on hgow I can fix this, if at all?

Thanks a lot and happy new year to everyone, hope you all enjoyed your holidays!

~ Marco.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I watched the movie on my set up, don't recall having that problem. If it's just those two seconds for the one sign its not too big a deal? I dunno I understand how you feel though, as most of us are perfectionists and completest in this hobby, we all want things to work the way we want them too. Sorry I couldn't help, good luck though

Mike

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Could it be that you have not properly set your internal dvd player settings to English?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I remember a thread about the same problem. I have the problem too, but it's no biggie for me. Apparently, it happens with JVC players. The French subs only come up about three times early in the movie to translate on screen English like the title and the sign Jack sees.

Just checked again. The mysterious French track comes up as subtitle option #3. Though it comes up automatically when I play it, when I turn subtitles off through the remote just as the film starts, they don't come up for me.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
yeah, I remember someone else (not in this forum) mentioning that to me about JVC players. It may be on other players as well. I beleive updating the firmware fixes it. Try contacting the manufacturer and see if they have an updated firmware.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Give this a try: Go into the subtitles menu, activate the English subs, and then immediately select "none" from the same menu.

This is what happened to me quite a bit: I flip on the English subs, then hit the subtitle button until the subs are turned off again. On some DVDs the result was that anything on screen (street signs, title cards or whatever) was suddenly subtitled in the language that was last selected as a subtitle track. If I left the subs alone after starting the film, or went through the menu to turn them on/off, there wouldn't be a problem.

I've never encountered this problem with Pirates of the Carribean, though. And the case described above is not a player bug as I've encountered this on all machines I've owned so far. But maybe my suggestion helps in your case anyway.

Chris

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice and info everyone. It's definitely not an issue with my internal settings Mark and I have tried what you suggested above, numerous times Christian; all to no avail. Coincidentally however, the unit I've been running the dvd with is in fact a JVC. I guess there's not much I can do about this glicth, though admitedly it's really not a big issue at all. Again, thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate it.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My copy of POTC did this on a Panasonic CP-72 and on my Zenith DVB-318, as well as a JVC. Turning off subs in the setup menu fixed it sometimes. I think it's more a mastering error on the disc than a player glitch since it happened on 3 different brands of player.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
This issue did come up a while back, and here's a paraphrase of my previous suggestion.

In my Sony player, there are two settings for disc memory. I don't have the manual w/ me, so I don't remember the exact terms. One of them remembers the last place viewed on the disc after you remove it and then put it back in the player.

The second option remembers settings such as audio, subtitles, etc. For some reason, this feature misreads some discs, even if it's the first time in the player. I had the problem you describe on random discs. After I switched off that option, I've had no further problems.

I don't know if other brands have this option, and you didn't specify your player, but if you do have that option, try to turn it off and see what happens. Let us know (I don't think I had any feedback the last time I posted it).

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks