What's new

Stupid Question: Why do Record players have a 'GROUND' wire? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
This may seem obvious to alot of you, but im 16, i've lived in the digital age all my life... :p)

Anyways, i've always wondered this, on my Amps and Reciever, both phono inputs have a GROUND... I didnt take a look at my record player until yesterday (after reading the BEATLES CD thread in MUSIC), and there was a GROUND wire...

Well the wire coming out of the turntable was very short, and my dad had to use extensions to hookup the two audio cables to it, but the GROUND was left simply unhooked.

Whats the importance of this ground wire? Is it okay to leave ungrounded? Does it sound better grounded?

One of my theories (as i have NO IDEA) what its for, is it discharges the static electricity on the records transferred through the needle.

Also, whats a good way to clean dust off records? Some of them sound okay with not many pops and clicks, but others are just littered with them.. what can i use to clean the records?

Thanks...

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I think it has something to do with discharging the static electricity caused by the friction of the needle being pulled across the nylon record. Anyone else have a theory?

-Lyle J.P.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Right, so I guess the reason there is a ground wire is because the signal is so low, that any hum is large is comparison and would dwarf the audio signal from the phonograph. A ground wire eliminates the possibility of hum. Wouldn't a ground wire on other equipment minimize noise there also? Is there another way to minimize or eliminate noise?

Nick,

What equipment do you have again? Speakers & receiver etc?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
ChrisPC: My complete list is in the link in my sig... I dont have my turntable listed there though, its some crappy one from 'Fisher'...

And for records, i use my Luxman amp and the JBL Studio Monitors instead of my Kenwood and Paradigms (used for HT)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks