What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Episode VIII didn't move until after TFA opened. It'll be the same here with Episode IX if it moves, which I strongly suspect it will. If VIII is a hit, there's no bigger believer in release date voodoo than Disney at the moment. They'll move it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Episode VIII didn't move until after TFA opened. It'll be the same here with Episode IX if it moves, which I strongly suspect it will. If VIII is a hit, there's no bigger believer in release date voodoo than Disney at the moment. They'll move it.
"IF" VIII is a hit?????:P

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And my early box office prediction.

I say it falls between TFA and Rogue 1.

I say $750 million domestic.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you hear, Rian Johnson is no longer writing Episode 9. Why? They initially said that he would. Now he says no.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what rumors said but I'm pretty sure that Episode IX was always announced as being written by Colin Trevorrow and his usual writing partner Derek Connolly. It seems like a tall order for Rian Johnson to write Episode VIII, shoot it, edit it, promote it and also write Episode IX. Johnson, J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan probably all tossed in ideas for Episode IX though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I remember back when he was hired reading that he was signed to write and direct VIII and write IX. It seemed odd to me at the time, given the fact that directing a Star Wars movie is pretty much an all-consuming job.

Reportedly, they had to significantly change their plans for IX when Carrie Fisher passed away, so I'm not surprised that Johnson has nothing to with the writing now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was worried about the choice of Treverrow in the first place and that Johnson was writing reassured me. Now, not so much.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes it was no rumor, it was clearly stated that Rian Johnson would at least write a treatment for episode 9.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Copying and pasting from Wookieepedia:
It was also believed that Rian Johnson—who had signed on to direct Episode VIII—would write the treatment for Episode IX,[8] though this was later denied by Johnson.[9]

That first footnote is to a story from The Los Angeles Times on June 23, 2014 that says that Johnson's spokesman confirmed that he was writing & directing Episode VIII and writing a treatment for Episode IX but Disney declined comment on all of it. The second footnote is to a Tweet from Johnson on April 24, 2017 "That's old info, I haven't been involved in writing IX."

Based solely on that Tweet, it sounds like Johnson didn't directly work on Episode IX prior to the death of Carrie Fisher which makes sense since doing both movies at the same time would seem impossibly time consuming. I still think that all the previous screenwriters had ideas that ended up in Episode IX though.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I have to say, it makes far more sense to me that it would be R2-D2 there in the first place. BB-8 is Poe's droid; of course he was going to stay with Poe once he discovers that his owner is alive. Meanwhile, R2-D2 is Luke's droid. R2-D2 has the map that leads to Luke. R2-D2 is the last entity that Luke had contact with before disappearing. Of course you take R2-D2!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks