What's new

Spike TV's Future in Jeporardy in Canada (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
So they can bring us more CRAPPY TV!

I really wish we could do something about the CRTC, they have way to much to say about what we should watch and listen too.

Spike TV is one of the better regular cable stations.

Brent

Gui A

Supporting Actor

AFAIK, it sounds like SpikeTV in its current form, was never approved by the CRTC. The CRTC approved The Nashville Network and that type of programming. They also approved MenTV, and even though they don't share the same programming, it's the same theme. they both claim to be the first network for men. (and technically, MenTV launched first).
Canadian channels just can't go around changing the programming they were approved for. Much Music got in trouble years ago for airing Ren & Stimpy (cartoons aren't music videos). TechTV went about things the right way when they wanted to air Anime Unleashed in Canada, they actually applied to the CRTC. They were denied, of course, but at least they followed procedure.
I think that's what's going on, but I could be wrong.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
The CRTC's "mandate" is to protect Canadian culture. The way it works is that a small group of individuals with no accountability whatsoever get to say what Canadians should and shouldn't see. They are our big brother, and for some reason, we tolerate it. If it weren't so close to Christmas, I'd call them a bunch of ass-fucks!

Martin.

BobV

Second Unit
Actually the CRTC's job is not to protect Canadian culture but enforce broadcasting rights, laws, and copyright. You can thank the Heritage Ministry I believe for 'protecting Canadian culture'.

The CAB are the dirty dogs here (and in most other issues dealing with TV broadcasting in Canada). They are the ones who get their panties in a bunch about these kinds of issues. They are interested in only one issue, protecting their monopolies. They are not concerned with the TV viewer in Canada, hence the name, Canadian Association of Broadcasters.

From http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/No.../pb2004-14.htm
"...the CAB concluded that, in addition to having the same target audience, Spike TV draws from program categories that are similar to those from which Men TV is authorized to draw programming. The CAB expressed concern that, with the two services targeting the same audience and offering programming from similar program categories, Spike TV is in direct competition with Men TV for the acquisition of programming."

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure the CRTC is more evil than you think. But let my previous statements apply to the CAB too!

Martin.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
The CRTC sucks, and is badly in need of getting dismantled. I'm tired of a group of people who answer to noone telling me what I'm allowed to watch. Grrr...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks