What's new

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!] (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A fine movie with an awesome Dolby Atmos track. I'll be seeing this again in a Dolby Cinema theater next week.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought this was a very cool, fun movie with some really top notch Spidey action.

The story surrounding the antagonist went in an interesting direction, the teen romance felt realistic, and Spider-Man really came into his own.

The two credit scenes were some of the most significant in the MCU. The mid-credits scene is MASSIVE as far as the impact on future Spidey stories. I’m not sure I can quite wrap my head around what they are going to do with this. I have some thoughts based on knowledge of the comics, but I really don’t know what the MCU is going to do. Plus it has a great character debut that was quite surprising. And the final end credits scene looks to be introducing a significant new element of the larger MCU going into its next Phase. Very cool.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Regarding the credits scenes:

I have to say I am really impressed that the (re)casting of J.K. Simmons did not leak during production. It seems like something that would have drawn a lot of attention to itself, and that they were able to keep this under wraps is a massive credit to both Marvel and Sony.

As happy as I was to see Simmons back, Mysteerio framing Peter and revealing his identity almost makes that insignificant. I can't really wrap my head around it either, but I can't wait to see what's next. It seems so significant for the world at large that characters in Marvel's other Earth-based properties would almost certainly be talking about it, and it's probably going to reignite some sort of discussion about superhero oversight, after the snap seemed to make the Socovia Accords irrelevant. So I'm curious how they'll even get around having to address it in another film before the next Spider-Man arrives.

I also have to wonder: how long has Talos been impersonating Nick Fury? The fact that Nick is in space now probably makes him a shoo-in to appear in Captain Marvel's sequel and have that set in space, which previously were two things I didn't think could both be possible.

The story surrounding the antagonist went in an interesting direction

How they handled Mysterio in the first part of the film was actually one of the very few problems I had with it. I understand why they wanted to have him appear as an ally to Peter so that he could get Edith, but since we the audience know that Mysterio is a villain, the twist had less impact than the movie seemed to think that it would. The only people who would be genuinely surprised are moviegoers who legitimately have no idea that Mysterio is a villain, and that's probably a really small number of people. I said it with Captain Marvel and I'll say it again here: it's usually not a good idea to have the audience in a position where we know more than the characters in the movie do.

I think I have a way they could have fixed this without radically changing the story the movie wanted to tell. If the film had introduced Mysterio first, we could have watched him learn that Edith was being given to Peter. We could have watched him try to trick Nick Fury. Since the majority of the fans already know that Mysterio is a villain, if you lead with that information, then he could still trick everyone exactly how he does and not have the feeling that the audience is ahead of the film. We would be ahead of Peter, but if we saw it through Mysterio's eyes, we wouldn't be ahead of the movie. Plus, if the movie told us ahead of time that Mysterio was fooling everyone, it would have made that scene where he congratulates his goons on the success of their plan feel less like an exposition dump than it is.

And before people say in response that it's Peter's story and it made sense for us to be with Peter, I still think they could have introduced Mysterio in a scene ahead of when "Fury" and "Hill" are driving in Mexico and set up, there, that we know he's a villain, and then proceeded with the film as-is.

Oh, and since the film specifically calls out the idea of the multiverse as being part of Mysterio's bullshit, we don't actually know if there is a multiverse in the MCU or not. We know Peter knows it's possible, but I wouldn't take that as confirmation that it exists.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
That casting was perfect then, and it’s perfect now.

I agree.
It is perfect. I’m still so surprised that they went with him since he played the role in a different Spidey movie universe and Marvel seems to be trying to do what hasn’t been done before in the previous two Spidey movie universes. But he is just so perfect that it is better to stick with the same actor for this new Marvel Cinematic Universe incarnation of the character. With Peter being framed and outed ol’ J.J. is going to have to have a significant presence in the next one calling for Spidey’s head. Curious if they’ll finally bring back Osborne or Octavious in the next one too.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

I have to say I am really impressed that the (re)casting of J.K. Simmons did not leak during production. It seems like something that would have drawn a lot of attention to itself, and that they were able to keep this under wraps is a massive credit to both Marvel and Sony.

As happy as I was to see Simmons back, Mysteerio framing Peter and revealing his identity almost makes that insignificant. I can't really wrap my head around it either, but I can't wait to see what's next. It seems so significant for the world at large that characters in Marvel's other Earth-based properties would almost certainly be talking about it, and it's probably going to reignite some sort of discussion about superhero oversight, after the snap seemed to make the Socovia Accords irrelevant. So I'm curious how they'll even get around having to address it in another film before the next Spider-Man arrives.

I also have to wonder: how long has Talos been impersonating Nick Fury? The fact that Nick is in space now probably makes him a shoo-in to appear in Captain Marvel's sequel and have that set in space, which previously were two things I didn't think could both be possible.

Regarding Fury:
My guess is that Talos only impersonated him for a short time. No way was the Fury that turned to dust and sent the distress signal to Danvers Talos. I just can’t buy that. So then he was just recently back from the dead and moved onto this new, massive, secret space based project after Tony’s funeral and sent Talos to take his place to deal with the things that needed attention on Earth. I can’t be sure, but I’m thinking this Space-based organization is S.W.O.R.D.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not surprised they went with Simmons at all. They made his physical appearance different enough for it to be clear that it's not the same version of the character. I've been saying for years that I would be thrilled at all if Simmons came back to the role, regardless of his presence in the other films, and obviously they think the majority of the fans will feel that way too. I would mind if they pulled some unnecessary bullshit like saying "The version of Jameson from the Raimi trilogy fell through a portal to the multiverse and came into the MCU and that's why he looks the same" in order to make it the same version of the character. That's not needed. However, essentially saying "It's the same actor, deal with it" by not addressing it at all is fine. It doesn't need addressing. Fans will be so happy to see him that almost no one will be upset.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

How they handled Mysterio in the first part of the film was actually one of the very few problems I had with it. I understand why they wanted to have him appear as an ally to Peter so that he could get Edith, but since we the audience know that Mysterio is a villain, the twist had less impact than the movie seemed to think that it would. The only people who would be genuinely surprised are moviegoers who legitimately have no idea that Mysterio is a villain, and that's probably a really small number of people. I said it with Captain Marvel and I'll say it again here: it's usually not a good idea to have the audience in a position where we know more than the characters in the movie do.

I think I have a way they could have fixed this without radically changing the story the movie wanted to tell. If the film had introduced Mysterio first, we could have watched him learn that Edith was being given to Peter. We could have watched him try to trick Nick Fury. Since the majority of the fans already know that Mysterio is a villain, if you lead with that information, then he could still trick everyone exactly how he does and not have the feeling that the audience is ahead of the film. We would be ahead of Peter, but if we saw it through Mysterio's eyes, we wouldn't be ahead of the movie. Plus, if the movie told us ahead of time that Mysterio was fooling everyone, it would have made that scene where he congratulates his goons on the success of their plan feel less like an exposition dump than it is.

And before people say in response that it's Peter's story and it made sense for us to be with Peter, I still think they could have introduced Mysterio in a scene ahead of when "Fury" and "Hill" are driving in Mexico and set up, there, that we know he's a villain, and then proceeded with the film as-is.

Oh, and since the film specifically calls out the idea of the multiverse as being part of Mysterio's bullshit, we don't actually know if there is a multiverse in the MCU or not. We know Peter knows it's possible, but I wouldn't take that as confirmation that it exists.

Regarding Mysterio:
I understand your point from a “fan” perspective. Most people who have delved into these stories in other incarnations (like people who have actually read comic books and watched animated stuff) are likely to know that -in the comics- Mysterio is a fraud and a villain. But I think think the vast majority of the audience is still made up of “regular” people who never read comics, didn’t watch animated stuff, and never heard of Mysterio. So for that portion of the audience the reveal will certainly be a cool surprise. To be honest, while I knew Mysterio was a fraud and a villain in the comics, I wasn’t 100% sure that Marvel wasn’t going to do something “different” with him in the MCU. So while quotes from interviews somewhat spoiled that for me (speaking of him as the villain in the movie) I still wasn’t sure if they were going 100% true to the comics (fraud) or if he would make a “turn” do to certain circumstances. For me, it was pretty cool that I had that bit of uncertainty about how his villainy would be portrayed and nice that they actually kept his essence pretty close to the comics.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The MCU movie this made me think of most was Iron Man 3. The Mysterio turn and his use of illusions reminded me a bit of the Manderin being part of what basically turned out to be an elaborate terrorism reality show. And Peter’s crisis of self-doubt after an Avengers battle is reminiscent of Tony Stark’s PTSD after an Avengers battle. It’s a nice echo. And I loved that the villain wasn’t an inter dimensional monster or an alternate universe traveler but a bunch of disgruntled ex-Stark employees.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's a choice between servicing your loyal fan base and servicing the wider public who don't know. If they had made clear that he was a villain from the get-go as I suggested above, it still would have worked for the general audience that way. They made the choice to have us experience it with Peter, which is okay, but they knew that the loyal fans would expect the twist. That's a choice they can make. It's not the choice I would have made. But it's a choice and I respect it was their right to make it.

Also, I really hope that the Blu-ray has audio commentary. I was disappointed that Homecoming was not. It feels like there would be a lot of interesting things for Jon Watts and company to talk about on this film.

On another note:

The fact that Peter has now been outed to the world as Spider-Man actually sets up the potential return of Liz for the next installment. My main issue with Homecoming was that even though he says he likes her, Peter treats her like garbage throughout the film, and I really wanted him to own up to her about being Spider-Man, especially in their final scene together after his actions resulted in her father being imprisoned. She's obviously going to see the news, so it opens up the possibility that she could return and they could actually have an honest conversation. I would love to see her reaction after hearing this. Some people might say that it doesn't matter now because it was six years ago by the time you take into account the blip. But it's still important to her, because it's her dad, and she was extremely important to Peter in Homecoming. So I think it would be nice to tie that up. Of course, Peter being outed to the world and framed for murder is of more immediate significance than a discussion with his ex-crush, but still. I'd love to see it in there.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Regarding the body of the film itself -- and not just the credits tags, although it's not surprising that those are generating the most discussion -- I think I can say this part without a spoiler tag.

I really loved that the ensemble of students was so well-used in this one. MJ and Betty in particular got a massive upgrade here in their development and what they were asked to do versus in Homecoming, and that was great to see. It felt like since this is the second film for most of this ensemble, Marvel was more comfortable fleshing them out, and the young cast rose to the challenge.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, so loved it. I am not a Spider-Man fan but I have seen every single Spider-Man movie in the theater since the first Raimi one.

This felt connected to the larger MCU in a way I didn't feel Homecoming was connected. Be nature, it had to be that connected, for sure, coming on the heels of Endgame and dealing with the fall out from that film. Far From Home was pitch-perfect in being a wrap-up for Phase III, a new Spider-Man story and an epilogue to Endgame.

I saw the plot twists everyone else is talking about coming a mile away...but I didn't care. I expected them. What I cared about was how they were handled. There was an appropriate amount of joking right along with the tears and anguish over The Blip; enough action for everyone; and character development all around. This is a coming of age movie, without question. Every hero has to have "that moment." Usually, it happens as part of a bigger movie and takes an hour to get there. We see the progression for Peter for 2+ hours here. Definite homages to Tony Stark, which is 100% intentional.

I wonder about that last credits scene. How many people left the theater without seeing it and will be 100% confused when it is referenced in an MCU movie down the line?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Regarding the body of the film itself -- and not just the credits tags, although it's not surprising that those are generating the most discussion -- I think I can say this part without a spoiler tag.

I really loved that the ensemble of students was so well-used in this one. MJ and Betty in particular got a massive upgrade here in their development and what they were asked to do versus in Homecoming, and that was great to see. It felt like since this is the second film for most of this ensemble, Marvel was more comfortable fleshing them out, and the young cast rose to the challenge.

Yes, I really liked MJ in this. She’s still has her “edge” but she’s coming out of her shell more and allowing more of a fun teenage girl to peak out. I also appreciate that as she is getting older she’s displaying more of her natural beauty. I’d love it for one of the future movies to let her take on more of the “classic MJ model” appearance.

upload_2019-7-3_11-35-7.jpeg

upload_2019-7-3_11-38-16.jpeg

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I wonder about that last credits scene. How many people left the theater without seeing it and will be 100% confused when it is referenced in an MCU movie down the line?

I don’t think that is likely to be an issue.
If you are talking about the Space operations base (?ship?) then that’ll surely be a big part of some other movie where whatever it is will be introduced as part of the story. But I think you’re talking about the Skrull switch, right? In that case I still don’t think it is likely to be a factor. Looks like Fury sent Talos to cover for him while he was working in Space. And it looks like Fury was in contact with him throughout. So even though that wasn’t technically Fury on Earth in the movie, he was acting on Fury’s behalf and Fury will have knowledge of everything Talos did as him. So there really isn’t a need to bring it up in future stories unless there is a specific reason to relevant to the new story. And in that case it would have to be explained to audiences who missed the credits scene anyway.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I’m really not sure what they are going to do with the story in the next one considering what happened.

With Peter being outed and framed, it certainly doesn’t seem like they will be able to do another story of “Peter in high school”. If it was just Spidey that was framed that wouldn’t affect it. And if it was just Peter being outed it would obviously affect the dynamics between him and everyone at school but that could still work. But with Peter being outed AND being framed I don’t think they could have him in school until/unless that is defused in some way.

Peter can function as an Avenger, fighting major threats against the world, without a secret identity without much issue. But I don’t think he can function as a crime fighter if he is outed. There are reasons for vigilante crime fighters to have secret identities. For one, vigilantism is illegal and there are all kinds of other legal issues that would arise from law suits, etc... but the most important reason is that criminals could threaten and target your family. To keep you away from them, to leverage you to do something for them, to punish you for causing them problems. If someone has no real friends or family they may be able to operate against criminals openly. But with a character like Peter Parker, I just don’t see him being able to fight “crime” if he remains outed.

So that raises the question: does he remain outed with a DRAMATIC shift in the nature of the way Peter/Spider-Man now has to operate in the world or does he somehow manage to put the genie back in the bottle and “prove” that he isn’t Spider-Man? There is something that was done in the comics that could help with this, but I wonder if they might be able to go with an more obvious option to help him... the Skrulls. If Peter could get a Skrull to impersonate him while he is being Spidey, that could help debunk Beck’s reveal.
It’ll be interesting to see where they go with this.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was sort of restless watching this movie last night.

Not really onboard with Zendaya as MJ either.

Just not as high on this film as most who have seen it, but that's okay. Probably just me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If you are talking about the Space operations base (?ship?) then that’ll surely be a big part of some other movie where whatever it is will be introduced as part of the story. But I think you’re talking about the Skrull switch, right? In that case I still don’t think it is likely to be a factor. Looks like Fury sent Talos to cover for him while he was working in Space. And it looks like Fury was in contact with him throughout. So even though that wasn’t technically Fury on Earth in the movie, he was acting on Fury’s behalf and Fury will have knowledge of everything Talos did as him. So there really isn’t a need to bring it up in future stories unless there is a specific reason to relevant to the new story. And in that case it would have to be explained to audiences who missed the credits scene anyway.

Yeah, that one. I'd like to think you're right, but I'd be okay if it wasn't re-explained, too. Every should know by now not to leave.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In the beginning of the movie:

Why was Captain America in the student-made R.I.P. video? Obviously, we know that Steve is still alive and has retired. Does the public think he died? It sure sounds like that is the case based on this. I assume the wider public doesn't know that Steve went back to live with Peggy in an alternate timeline.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It’s so easy now to find out if there is an end of credits bit and everyone should know by now anyway.

My feelings on the movie in spoiler tag.

I’ll respond to Sean in the spoiler too.

First.
Can someone spoilerize what Gary said that was deleted?
I didn’t see it.
I’m a Comic reader/collector and have almost anything published with Spider-man right up to about 10-12 years ago so I was fully aware of Mysterio.

Now the movie.

I was almost in tears due to seeing what is probably my favorite SM villain on the screen like this.
Loved 98% of how he was handled in the movie.
He was changed from a movie special fx guy to a Holographic special fx specialist which is fine it worked essentially the same.

My early prediction of what he was to be in the movie was almost spot on the only difference was that he was pretty much trying to get revenge on Stark for minimalizing his tech and calling it BARF.
Mysterio looked exactly as he should look compared to his comic book counterpart.

When Spider-Man fought Mysterio in that illusion sequence it was sooo right out of the comics.
This is what Mysterio does.
Creates elaborate illusions to *cough* Mystify Spider-Man and defeat him. This is one of my favorite parts of any super hero movie.
Oh man it was so comic book like.
Loved it.

I originally guessed he was creating illusions to defeat the creatures so he would become a hero and Spider-Man would reveal him to be a fraud and that would be Mysterio’s reason for getting Spider-Man.
Don’t know that I like the use of drones to create the illusions but I guess that might be the best way he could do it so I can live with it.

I had one major issue with what I guess would be the script.
They forgot To actually have Spider-Man and Mysterio fight for real with Beck in costume.
In the comics there is always the iconic, to me Battle that culminates with SM eventually punching him in the fish bowl, breaking it and cracking it open revealing Beck’s real face.
That’s sort of happened in the movie but it wasn’t quite the same.

Throughout the movie everythkng about Fury and Agent Hill seemed off.
It felt like they were over playing everything a bit too much and it just didn’t seem right to me.
Fury was a little too critical of SM, maybe too mean. Hill just seemed to be stiff almost as if she was acting like what she thought Agent Hill would do and say.
I didn’t know anything about the end credits scene but now having seen it,
the way these two acted in the movie makes sense.
In response to @Sean Bryan ‘s comment above I don’t think Talos had any contact with Fury until we see him call him on the phone.
He says as much when he tells Fury they gave Peter the glasses and then things went off the rails a bit.
This was the part of the movie that reminded me of IM3.

I don’t like anything that has to do with May and Happy being in a relationship.
Felt forced not organic.
Ned Leeds is a misfire.
Don’t need him. I expected them to take him in a direction similar to the comics when they had him and Betty get together but that didn’t last long so I guess that’s not going to happen.

I’m not sold on this edition of MJ but that’s somehing I have to live with.

To kind of odd that the toys released for this movie include and Hydro-man and a Molten-man.
They weren’t the incarnation of them that was actually in the movie.

The mod credit scene was Amazing.
J. K. Simmons might be th most perfect actor ever for any role.
I have no clue how they kept that a secret unless it was filmed just weeks before the final cut was sent out.
It was a little odd seeing him as a bald J.Jonah Jameson but it’s fine.
Man what a cliff hanger. How is that going to play out.

[\spoiler]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks