What's new

Speaker Hum caused by ButtKicker... (1 Viewer)

mrkplatt

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
So, I got my new Outlaw 7700 Amp installed, and got humming from all speakers that was not there before...

Prior to installing the Outlaw Amp I was powering my speakers from my NAD T775 A/V Receiver, and now am using the preamp outs to feed the Outlaw Amp to power the speakers.

Hum disappears when I disconnect the Pre-Amp inputs from the Outlaw. So, I reconnected the preamp inputs and when investigating further I found that the hum also disappears when I unplug my pair of ButtKicker amps from their outlets (even though they were already turned off). So, I'm assuming that there is some issue between my ButtKickers and the Outlaw.

I understand that lack of a common ground is an issue that causes humming. All of the wiring for my HT room was just installed from a new panel, with a common ground - although, there are four separate breakers feeding the HT Room as a single breaker can't handle the current.

Any suggestion how I can eliminate this hum without having to get rid of the ButtKickers?

Thanks!

Mark

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Although some people will say it is not safe, I use a 99 cent cheater plug on my Behringer sub amp to get rid of the ground loop. If it weren't safe, I don't think they would be sold at hardware stores, Wal-Mart and even my local Git-N-Go.

Like you I have a room with 4 breakers (three 20 amp circuits and one 15 amp circuit) and all come off the same leg on the breaker box.

-Robert

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Safety is not an issue for sellers! I have for many decades used the 3-to-2-prong adaptors to eliminate hum caused by ground loops. Nobody has died from it. Yet.

You can put those on the Butkicker amps, and there should be no hum. Or, as the previous poster says, use the adaptor on the pre-amp and the hum should disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks