What's new

Spanish Dubbed Fellowship of the Ring? (1 Viewer)

Isaac Lew

Auditioning
Hey guys. I recently was able to obtain a Region 1 The Two Towers DVD from Mexico that was completely dubbed and edited in Spanish-- menus and all. I have had no luck finding a similar Spanish-dubbed DVD (or VHS for that matter) for Fellowship of the Ring that will work in Region 1. Anyone out there know if it exists?
-Isaac

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
The question is why would you want one? I assume native Spanish speakers find dubbing as loathesome as we do. I don't see why subtitles wouldn't suffice.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Wow, how long were you sitting on that one, Paul? :rolleyes

Aye. Besides my fundamental hatred of any form of dubbing, the dub on FOTR is absolutely awful. Like a poorly-dubbed Japanese movie, but worse.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Maybe he just wants it as a collector's item. I have looked around a little bit for dubbed Mexican versions of the LOTR films, also, but haven't found any... and I don't even speak Spanish!

Isaac Lew

Auditioning
Jason, I want this for various reasons. First, I want to show the movies to people who do not speak English as a first language, but have already seen it in English. Second, I want it as a collector's item as Brian mentioned. And thirdly, I am interested in the translation of English to Spanish (particularly in magazines and films) and would like to see how well (or not) of a job they did and what I would do differently. I hope these are acceptable reasons.

Ricardo, did you see the Spanish-dubbed FOTR in theaters or on a VHS or DVD?
-Isaac

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Thankfully, it was only on DVD. But I did get stuck with a dubbed print of TTT in theaters. I think that's when I suffered my biggest case of "theater rage" ever :D

The dub feels way too unnatural. It's good as a novelty item, but I doubt someone could really enjoy the film that way.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Vatos,

Creo que mejor es escuchar una pelicula en su idioma nativa con subtitulos. A mi me da colera cuando tengo que escuchar esas traduciones horribles. Esta es mi opinion.

Vatos,

Chester

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, that's you, Chester. Someone else might like dubbed films. Fellini, for example, preferred dubbing over subtitling.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Vato Brian,

He notado que hasta hoy los europeos y especialmente los italianos siguen doblando sus peliculas en su idioma nativa. En estos casos es muy facil darse cuenta. Ahora es la minoria de los casos pero que horror....y como dije antes...esta es mi opinion.

Vato,

Chester

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Yes, I have noticed that on the Criterion titles -- they're much more likely to include a dubbed track if the film is Italian.

Personally, I'd rather hear the original language, but I can see the other point of view as well. For example, when Das Boot was first released in the early '80s, my brother had a German friend who, after seeing both the subtitled and dubbed versions of the film, recommended the dubbed version to non-German-speaking viewers, because he said the translation was more accurate.

Plus, it's just interesting to me to hear what the dub sounds like. So I have nothing against including a dubbed track -- but the original language should ALWAYS be included.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Isaac, my Fellowship DVD is R4 NTSC. Same transfer as the R1 disc, but with additional language and subtitle tracks.

Chester, he notado lo mismo que tú. Aquí en Venezuela sólo los canales pagados muestran el contenido en el idioma original (con subtítulos). Los canales "abiertos" prefieren mostrar las versiones doblads :thumbsdown:

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thank God for Babelfish, or I wouldn't know what the hell you were saying, dude. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks