Sony Wega alternative? (16:9 mode)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ClintonM, Dec 18, 2001.

1. ClintonM

ClintonM Auditioning

I’m looking to get a new 32” television to replace my 27” Sony Trinitron. For the last couple days I’ve been watching DVDs on the Trinitron with the 16:9 mode (via service mode). The picture is such a big improvement over the normal letterbox (except for the green and red line that appears on top of the image), that my next TV has to have this capability [​IMG] , and it doesn’t matter to me if it’s accessed through a menu or a service mode as long as it’s clean (no extra white or colored lines for example).
    This is my dilemma… The Sony KV-32FS13 is about $899 at the stores. The “alternatives” are about two to three hundred dollars cheaper with the biggest difference being the lack of a flat screen and a 16:9 mode. Because the flat screen is not that important to me, it’s tough to swallow that price difference due to the enhanced mode.
    The others are as follows:
    Panasonic CT-32D31
    Toshiba 32A61
    JVC AV-32260
    Hitachi 32GX01B
    Do any of the above sets, or any TV for that matter, have a good 16:9 mode accessible via a service mode?

2. Francois Plouffe

It may be over your budget a little, have you seen the Samsung TSL3293 HDTV? I bought this recently and I am very satisfied. You have HDTV capability, progressive scan DVD capability, 16:9 mode through the remote (no need to go in the menu or worse, the service menu), and it is a flat screen tube.

I too was considering the Sony 32FS13 for it "easy" 16:9 mode. But the performance and added feature of the Samsung convinced me to spen a little more for it, even though I don't have access to HDTV in my area yet.

Note that the Samsung is about the same price as the Sony 32FV27, wich it isn't HDTV, plus it have a better warranty than Sony.

3. ClintonM

ClintonM Auditioning

Thanks Francois,

I noticed that TV along with the Panasonic CT-32HX41 and the Hitachi 32UDX10S but they're over my limit. I'll spend the big money when HDTV is more widely available. Until then I just want a TV that goes well with my harman/kardon DVD 5 and the Dish network, so I set my limit to $900, although that's still more than I'd like to spend.

4. Francois Plouffe

Before I decided to spend more for the Samsung, I had stopped my choice on the Sony 32FS13, because, like you, I really wanted the 16:9 mode.

If I were you, I would go for the Sony because it is much more easier to switch the 16:9 mode on and off. Going into the service menu each time, even if it works, is way to complicated. Sometime, simpler is better. Think about the resell value; imagine yourself explaining to someone who would buy your tv that it could do the 16:9 mode, but he had to go in service menu.

Also, don't overlook the flat screen. Your current Trinitron is flat in one axis and changing to non-flat tube seems more of a downgrade to me. A flat tube really help with room reflection.

Happy shopping.

5. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

I ordered the 36FS13 yesterday. I chose this television over others because I wanted the 16:9 mode. It will be here on Saturday....Can't wait!

Randy T