What's new

Sony Wega alternative? (16:9 mode) (1 Viewer)

ClintonM

Auditioning
I’m looking to get a new 32” television to replace my 27” Sony Trinitron. For the last couple days I’ve been watching DVDs on the Trinitron with the 16:9 mode (via service mode). The picture is such a big improvement over the normal letterbox (except for the green and red line that appears on top of the image), that my next TV has to have this capability :) , and it doesn’t matter to me if it’s accessed through a menu or a service mode as long as it’s clean (no extra white or colored lines for example).
This is my dilemma… The Sony KV-32FS13 is about $899 at the stores. The “alternatives” are about two to three hundred dollars cheaper with the biggest difference being the lack of a flat screen and a 16:9 mode. Because the flat screen is not that important to me, it’s tough to swallow that price difference due to the enhanced mode.
The others are as follows:
Panasonic CT-32D31
Toshiba 32A61
JVC AV-32260
Hitachi 32GX01B
Do any of the above sets, or any TV for that matter, have a good 16:9 mode accessible via a service mode?

It may be over your budget a little, have you seen the Samsung TSL3293 HDTV? I bought this recently and I am very satisfied. You have HDTV capability, progressive scan DVD capability, 16:9 mode through the remote (no need to go in the menu or worse, the service menu), and it is a flat screen tube.

I too was considering the Sony 32FS13 for it "easy" 16:9 mode. But the performance and added feature of the Samsung convinced me to spen a little more for it, even though I don't have access to HDTV in my area yet.

Note that the Samsung is about the same price as the Sony 32FV27, wich it isn't HDTV, plus it have a better warranty than Sony.

ClintonM

Auditioning
Thanks Francois,

I noticed that TV along with the Panasonic CT-32HX41 and the Hitachi 32UDX10S but they're over my limit. I'll spend the big money when HDTV is more widely available. Until then I just want a TV that goes well with my harman/kardon DVD 5 and the Dish network, so I set my limit to $900, although that's still more than I'd like to spend.

Before I decided to spend more for the Samsung, I had stopped my choice on the Sony 32FS13, because, like you, I really wanted the 16:9 mode.

If I were you, I would go for the Sony because it is much more easier to switch the 16:9 mode on and off. Going into the service menu each time, even if it works, is way to complicated. Sometime, simpler is better. Think about the resell value; imagine yourself explaining to someone who would buy your tv that it could do the 16:9 mode, but he had to go in service menu.

Also, don't overlook the flat screen. Your current Trinitron is flat in one axis and changing to non-flat tube seems more of a downgrade to me. A flat tube really help with room reflection.

Happy shopping.

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered the 36FS13 yesterday. I chose this television over others because I wanted the 16:9 mode. It will be here on Saturday....Can't wait!

Randy T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks