What's new

Sony STR-DE675 vs Panasonic SA-HE9 (Technics SA-DX950) (1 Viewer)

AnsiC

Auditioning
Hi!
I'm going to build my home cinema. At the moment I'm choosing my first a/v receiver. I have choice to take Sony STR-DE675 or Panasonic SA-HE9. Which of those two would you choose??? Price for Sony is about 100$ higher than Panasonic, is it worth that?
Sadly there's not large offer of a/v components in my region (i.e. Latvia), and even mentioned models are quite expensive compared to your prices (even double as much).

br,
AnsiC
p.s. sorry for my English.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The Sony has more DSP modes (not that I use them), more inputs and SVideo switching as well as composite while the Panasonic has a phono input and (very coarse) variable bass management. Apart from that, I'd doubt there is much difference. Both have remotes that will control other components (TVs, VCRs, DVDs) of the same brand.

Over here, the Sony is due to be replaced by the 685 which has DPLII so it may be worth waiting a few weeks for that model (or wait for it to push down the price of the 675).

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I would go with the panasonic, unless you want to watch movies with a room full of snakes, the hiss from sony units is unbearable.....have a look at the sa he100. for the few extra bucks, lots of features....

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Hiss from my STR-DE675 is not noticable unless I am within 1 foot of a speaker with the volume right up and no source signal. I'm not saying it is audio perfection but have you listened to this model? How about fan noise from the Panasonic models?

Sony (ES model aside) gets bashed just about every time receivers are discussed. Is this always from listening experience or is it just a jump on the bandwagon effect?

Steve Adams

Second Unit
no it's not a jump on the bandwagon effect, it's fact...I have a str-de 445, i read that everyone has this problem. I figured that if i jump to the db series I would not have this problem, but I was wrong. same thing, you must be one of the lucky ones....my receiver can be on 1 in the volume and this terrible hiss comes through, i have a kenwood vr-405, very quiet, no hiss, same with the panasonic, when the fan cuts in the volume is up enough that you don't hear it anyways....it's cuts out when volume is decreasd. Im glad to hear you like your sony and never have the problems i have had with them. I will NEVER buy another sony product again....I am buying the sawm-40 sub because of the reviews it has gotten, and when i get straighted away with my job, I will be getting an svs,. but never again with sony.....

Steve Adams

Second Unit
the video switching was going all "wonky" and the sound of the unit was'nt good at all.....for the money I paid for it, i could have gotten much better imo.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Sony ES line is very respectable, but merely competetive in their price range. As a former Sony owner, I also cannot recommend the DE or even the DB line from them. I bought a 475 for $150 for my bedroom and got rid of it within 4 days because the amps are crap.

I am not familiar with the specific Panasonic/Technics, but I probably wouldn't buy one of those either. You aren't going to find too many choices in that price range though.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
hey John, your a member of the IRTCA? cool. I have an lowly integra se with a crvtec being installed this winter.....the panny sounds pretty good for the money....no hiss or anything like that....

Steve Adams

Second Unit
John,

that is sweet, are you on honda-tech or any sites like that? also, keep the teggy safe! they are getting robbed left right and center.....last week alone there were like 8 stolen from hondatech members..... yeah the panny is the way to go....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry to OT your thread AnsiC
Yes, I was a frequent browser of H-Tech.com H-A.net, but not in a long time, and still hang around H/A club now and again. I have 4 friends who have had their cars stolen, and one who has had his almost stolen twice, all last year. It's the only problem with owning an R. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks