What's new

So many missing classics on DVD - I'm getting impatient now! (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Ok It's true I did not condider the sales factor when I kind of attacked Fox for not releasing the Faye and Grable pictures. And it's pretty sad news to know that Alexander's didn't sell that well. Just hope it doesn't stop the studio to put out other musical releases on the market.
And now don't get me wrong. I love the job Fox is doing with the Studio Classics line. I got every single one, but the 60's pictures, as well as I have others 40's and 50's releases as Roxie Hart, Call me Madam, Brigham Young and Crash Dive, The MM Diamond and Cary Grant Collections.
Their video and audio quality are impressive, of course resulting from a restoration work, that I know, costs a lot of money.
But it's so frustrating not to have a single Grable musical released on dvd...And to think that we may not ever have one.
Guess I'll have to work this out.
Like you sad: Roger sad sad sad
At least Jason gave us excellent news about Laura.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Since Fox seems to be so apt to sublicense product to people like Anchor Bay and Criterion, they should re-team with Image Entertainment for their classics as they did in the laserdisc days. Image did right by Fox and vice-versa.

I'm sure Image would love to put out a lot of the Fox library that wouldn't be commercially viable to Fox themselves, who'd rather sell Mel Gibson's PASSION and
Season 11 of M*A*S*H. That's where their bread and butter comes from.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a nifty DVD of THE GANG'S ALL HERE?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Alistair, you really need a multi-region player as so many of those title are out on DVD in other regions.

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) may be coming soon. It's been showing in HD on HD.NET Movies for the last couple of months.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Fox:

Bigger Than Life (1956, Nicholas Ray, James Mason) would be a marvelous addition to your Studio Classics collection.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

I'm not so sure -- though this is the first thread that gives me hope that The African Queen will be released someday in R1 to DVD. I started a thread a while back asking if AQ will be finally released in 2005 and due to the rights issues and the extensive restoration, which is still not underway, I don't now expect it to happen next year -- perhaps 2006. I am more optimistic about seeing King Kong, Bringing Up Baby and even The Jazz Singer next year. Like others I have been holding out for OAR of The Sting and Chariots of Fire. I expect both out sometime in 2005. Others on my list would include Raintree County, Reflections in a Golden Eye (I still remember the impact that film had on me) and East if Eden.

Joel

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Anything new on Magnificent Ambersons? All these years without a dvd makes me hopeful something interesting might be going on with it? Yes, wishful thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks