Should I replace my Onkyo 797 backlight remote with Sony RM-AV2100?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I just bought my Onkyo 797 receiver and I love the remote that comes with it, backlight, and macros, eight of them, and Mode Key LED's, but I can get a Sony RM-AV2100 for jsut $99, is that a good deal, Sony says it's $179 so I wasn't sure if I should jump on it, or if it is not worth it. I'm not into the whole remote thing, I guess i would only be buying the Sony for the COOLNESS of an LCD touchscreen remote [​IMG] . Worth it, or be happy with what I have?

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

You can always get the Sony for ~$100, online.

If the remote from the Onkyo controls all of your stuff fine, I would stick with it. I have AV2000 and like it quite a bit. Not a lot of hard buttons, but I'm so used to it I can use it without looking for a lot of the functions.

The 2100 adds a nice amount of macros, more memory, and more presets. Still, you can get a Pronto for ~$200 these days, I'm sure... might make more sense to save for that, which is quite a bit more versatile.

3. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

I have had both the RMAV2000 and the 2100. Had a 2000 and sold it for more macro and storage capabilites but found that the macro settings on the RMAV2100 wouldnt work as well for me as the RMAV2000 so I sold it and got a 2000 again but have now added a Replay and a DVD that is not listed in the book and have used up all the learning memory space so I may have to get a Pronto or something like that.