Title: Shang-Chi 2

Director: Destin Daniel Cretton

Plot: Sequel to the 2021 film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Destin Daniel Cretton has signed an overall deal with Marvel Studios and Onyx Collective, which is based at Hulu. He will direct Shang-Chi 2 and is also in development on a new MCU Disney+ show.

I loved Shang-Chi and am delighted we will be getting more of it with Cretton, who is one of my favorite filmmakers working today.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Destin Daniel Cretton has signed an overall deal with Marvel Studios and Onyx Collective, which is based at Hulu. He will direct Shang-Chi 2 and is also in development on a new MCU Disney+ show.

I loved Shang-Chi and am delighted we will be getting more of it with Cretton, who is one of my favorite filmmakers working today.

And if it goes true to Cretton's form, maybe Brie Larson will show up as Captain Marvel again, hopefully in an extended role!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And if it goes true to Cretton's form, maybe Brie Larson will show up as Captain Marvel again, hopefully in an extended role!!
We discussed this in the thread for the first film as well. I love that Cretton managed to sneak her in there in the mid-credits scene. But that was basically Avengers FaceTime.

The only problem I can see with using Carol for an extended period in these films is that she is a cosmic hero. She made very clear in Endgame that she protects other planets while the Avengers take care of Earth. Given that Shang-Chi is set on Earth, it would take a big threat to bring Carol back here for that. I also wouldn't want her to overshadow Shang-Chi in his own movie.

But you never know. If she can be brought in naturally in a way that makes sense, sure. I certainly enjoy Cretton and Larson working together.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
With respect, The Direct is not a major Hollywood trade.

If Variety or Deadline or The Hollywood Reporter or somewhere like that reports this, then that is much more likely to be credible.

But I'm very skeptical of that article.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This isn't terribly surprising considering that Destin Daniel Cretton is attached to The Kang Dynasty, but I feel like benching Shang-Chi 2 for so long is a real waste. He is the best new film character Marvel has introduced in a while and they should be striking while the iron is hot. Instead, as the MCU expands into more and more directions, they're just letting characters fall to the side until a slot opens up, even when the character was well-received. This is a big difference from when Chris Evans appeared in an MCU film every year from 2011-19 and had his sequels two years apart after Winter Soldier really clicked with audiences.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is a big difference from when Chris Evans appeared in an MCU film every year from 2011-19 and had his sequels two years apart after Winter Soldier really clicked with audiences.
And it’s one of the frustrating things about the MCU now. When a movie or series is done, we don’t know when we’re going to see that character again. With Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Thor, etc., we knew they’d be back in a year, maybe two.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
In one way, the MCU is moving very fast with all the new TV series in addition to 3 or 4 films a year.

But in another way, it's also moving very slow for certain characters. I really liked Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel, but it will have been almost 5 years since her origin film when The Marvels comes out. And I'd certainly like to see more of Shang Chi, but if it's not till after Secret Wars, that's going to be around 6 years! Dr Strange 2 took over 5 years as well, but at least he had prominent roles in Infinity War and No Way Home in between.

I understand that COVID had a big part to play in all the delays, but the number of new characters that has entered the MCU is also a cause. And the lack of a phase-ending Avengers entry since Endgame has also led to a longer wait for certain characters to re-appear.

I don't mind the expansion with all the new characters, but I can understand the frustration when characters you like have to wait 5 or more years to show up again in roles that are more substantial than a quick cameo!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think the problem is that they have so many balls in the air right now that finding room for them all on the schedule is a complex juggling act. There were fewer to rotate in the earlier phases.

They used to be able to adjust things more easily. The Winter Soldier was a big hit, and Civil War was brought forward quickly to follow that. The Dark World was lesss well-received, and they took longer to develop Ragnarok.

Now, it doesn't seem to matter that Shang-Chi was well-received. There's still no space for a sequel to it for a while because they have other plans. Hiring Destin Daniel Cretton for Kang Dynasty keeps him in the Marvel fold in the interim. But after Quantumania, which I hated, I'm much more interested in the continued adventures of Shang-Chi than I am in Kang. They've already promised that Kang is the center of the next big storyline but didn't seem to factor in what would happen if audiences didn't respond to the beginning of that story.

I'm sure we'll see Shang-Chi in an Avengers movie before they get around to his next solo film, but that's not the same thing.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Not super excited by Shang Chi alone, but if the sequel were to bring in... say, Luke Cage and Iron Fist then I'm on board.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Now, it doesn't seem to matter that Shang-Chi was well-received. There's still no space for a sequel to it for a while because they have other plans.

Which I think is the big issue with the MCU right now. They seem to be a victim of their own success. I think the idea of introducing a series of interconnected films with different lead characters, who would all come together after they'd all been introduced was pure gold. It really had not been done before quite in this manner (though Universal's Classic Monsters films did it -- albeit more haphazardly -- back in the 1930s/1940s). And building on that framework over the course of two more "phases" was certainly a hit.

But I think they made a mistake by deciding to jump into another mega-story. Among other things, it leaves little room for introducing newer characters to be the headliners for the next batch of films. In the previous phases, they were able to introduce new characters, like the Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man, that easily seemed to fit right in. But with Phase 4, they had a chance to catch their breath and expand in new directions -- especially with some of the major characters in the Infinity Saga either dying or retiring -- and the introduction of characters like Shang-Chi and the Eternals (despite it ending up a flop, but with it's hint of Blade coming to the MCU) showed a lot of promise in my mind. But now with Phase 5 (and 6) locking them into the Multiverse Saga, there doesn't seem room for these characters that don't seem to have an obvious place in the new saga.

I really wish that Marvel had decided to just fall back to having an MCU that just established that it was a single universe where all these characters co-existed, so that you could have crossovers and cameos if the immediate story called for it, but didn't require everything to aim for the same destination point. I'm hoping that James Gunn will do this with the DCU going forward, as they should've done in the beginning instead of trying to fast-track a copy of the MCU.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I think the lack of an Avengers film is certainly playing into the general thoughts about where is this all going, and why are we waiting 5-6 years to see a character again, etc., etc.

During the Infinity Saga, there was an Avengers film every 3-4 years. Now, we haven't had one since Endgame, and by the time Kang Dynasty comes out, it will have been about 7 years (if not more due to writer's strike, etc.).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Simu Liu was on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight. He can't talk about Shang-Chi because of the SAG strike, but I thought I'd post this anyway. He's so funny and genuine in the interview. Watching this reminded me that I hope we see Shang-Chi again soon. I've missed that character.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Destin Daniel Cretton is now making another film for Lionsgate.

It is unclear what this means for Shang-Chi 2 but would seem to imply that it is not a priority project for Marvel at this time.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I think I saw a recent social media post by Simu Liu where, amongst other topics, he said we need to give fans a sequel. When the star has to cajole Disney, it certainly sounds like there's nothing in the works at the moment.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think I saw a recent social media post by Simu Liu where, amongst other topics, he said we need to give fans a sequel. When the star has to cajole Disney, it certainly sounds like there's nothing in the works at the moment.

That's a shame. I liked the first movie a lot!

And even though it didn't make traditional MCU $$$, it did very well for the "box office still damaged badly by COVID" era.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
"Yeah, I could prepare for Shang-Chi 2, maybe bat around a few ideas. Yeah, I could do that..." <nods> "OR...!"

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks