What's new

Serenity (2005) (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Jayne lost a lot of weight, looks much older, and is far from the force of nature he was on the show.

--

H

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Jayne looks the same to me too. The biggest visual difference for me, besides Kaylee no longer being as convex, was Wash's clothes which were much less casual and colorful.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Watching "Objects in Space" and just noticed Early tells Simon, "You ought to be shot..." :)
EDIT: Hmmm. Just saw he got shot in that episode too. Forgot about that. Guess it doesn't apply. Could be a recurring gag though. :)

James T

Screenwriter
Jayne looks the same to me too. The biggest visual difference for me, besides Kaylee no longer being as convex, was Wash's clothes which were much less casual and colorful.
Mal looked to be the one who looked the most different. He aged a lot and looks extrememly tired with the bags under his eyes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Adam Baldwin's Jayne to me depends entirely on the facial hair. It's the key physical characteristic that makes Baldwin look like Jayne.
"The Train Job" still sticks out to me because Baldwin is clean shaven and I keep wondering why the super soldier from the X-Files is dangling out the underbelly of a spaceship:)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
To me, the show and movie looked like they could've been shot the same day. The actors look exactly the same. I don't see a difference especially in Mal (other than the end of course).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw this last night, and enjoyed it. I never watched the television show, but was interested to see the movie. I liked the lived-in universe the characters inhabited, and I wanted to see more of the Alliance worlds and the rim worlds. It seemed to me that when concocting the series, they must have thought it would be nice to base it on what life would be like for a Han Solo character, separate from any government institution. That's what gives us the average-guy feel to the universe.

I'd go see any sequels.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the intervening 1-2 years between filming the TV show and the film, Jewel Staite lost the weight she had when she was playing Kaylee, but Joss was so happy just to have her back for the film, he didn't put any weight demands on her (to bulk back up to her previous Kaylee weight), so that's why she looks slimmer in the film.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
One of the things I liked the most about Mal is that he not only has the qualities of Han Solo (scoundrel in space) but I also realized during his first fight with the Operative that he can take a punch like Indiana Jones.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to chime in with my thumb way way up. I liked this from the first show on TV and it just got better. The movie was so much more intelligent and satisfying then any other science fiction movie I've seen. What was weird was that as soon as I saw the part of the reiver ship get swallowed by Serenity and the doc walk over toward it, I thought to myself the alliance created the reivers. This is definitly going to be watched many times by me. I can only hope for sequels.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of the jokes felt like "TV writing" -- which is not necessarily a bad thing. Most of them were quite funny, but they did stand out. They just don't do that in movies, but maybe they should.
They may not do it in the movies but in the army they do. The more F'ed up the situation the more surreal and absurd the humor gets. Sort of like James Coburn at the end of Cross of Iron.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hell, how about "Aliens" and most of Bill Paxton's dialogue in that movie? It's a way to release nervous energy while trying to do a job in tense situations.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
In the intervening 1-2 years between filming the TV show and the film, Jewel Staite lost the weight she had when she was playing Kaylee, but Joss was so happy just to have her back for the film, he didn't put any weight demands on her (to bulk back up to her previous Kaylee weight), so that's why she looks slimmer in the film.
She did look thinner...She looked just as good in the show.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Watched "Serenity" last Monday afternoon and another Thumb's UP!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: (wife, friend and me)!
Bought Firefly - The Complete Series on January 9, 2004 and we watched the entire 14 episodes, in the correct order, ... about 3-time and we all looked forward to the movie!!! We just loved the Movie! The Theater was about 1/4 full @ 5:10pm, ... so go out and see it on the Big Screen, ... just to experience the Reaver's up-close and personal!!! :eek:
Can't wait for the DVD to come out in 4 - 6 months!?!?! Definitely sound & feel (LFE) better @ home!!! ;)
Phil

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
While the pic. looked GREAT at the theatre in Emeryville where we saw it, the sounds kinda blew. NO low end, way too harsh and midrangey sounding and not loud enough. Can't wait to get the dvd to hear it good as well.
:) d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks