What's new

Scary Movie Challenge 2009? (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I went through all my hammers last year. I find that with this being my 4th challenge or so, I forget what I've seen! Also I find, no matter what movies I pick to watch, reading the reviews that others post makes me wish I was watching those ones.

I'm thinking of hitting "Jennifers Body" at the theaters to start the challenge. no idea how scary it will be, but I'm sure there will be about at least 5 minutes to keep me entertained :P

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Russell G

I'm thinking of hitting "Jennifers Body" at the theaters to start the challenge. no idea how scary it will be, but I'm sure there will be about at least 5 minutes to keep me entertained :P
Not that you shouldn't count it as part of the challenge but I think it was more of a dark comedy than a horror movie. It's not a bad movie but it's nothing to rush out and see either.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by TravisR

Not that you shouldn't count it as part of the challenge but I think it was more of a dark comedy than a horror movie. It's not a bad movie but it's nothing to rush out and see either.
Thanks for the warning, but it's too late! no sooner had I posted and a fiend called me up so we're off to it tonight. I guess I'll hit up Pandorum or what ever that space one is instead on Thursday. There's that Sorority Row playing too I think, it looked really awful, but what the hell, I got "Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus" lined up for the challenge so I'm not exactly going high brow. :P

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm a bit confused...are we starting now, or do they have to be viewings between Oct 1-31?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Originally Posted by John Stell ">[/url]

BTW Michael, congrats on the forthcoming bundle. This will my fourth, increasing the odds that at least one of my kids will be a horror fan someday.[/QUOTE]
Congrats to you as well. We're suppose to go into November but I guess you never really know. This is my first and last as it's already killing me.

[i][b]I'm very excited as you can tell. And congrats on the fathers to be! Any names picked out yet? Michael? Freddy? Jason? Carrie if it's a girl?

[/b][/i]Dylan (after Bob Dylan, of course) for me. I had the name picked out six years ago before I even knew I was going to have kids.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I'm a bit confused...are we starting now, or do they have to be viewings between Oct 1-31?
Some of us are watching some early to get primed up, but they don't count. It's only films that are viewed between Oct 1st 12:00am and Oct 31st 11:59 (so start your last movie before then in your time zone if you plan to go OCD on this challange!). I'm trusting us all to keep it honest. :)

Originally Posted by Michael Elliot

I'm sure many records will be broken this year with the inclusion of TV shows.
I did think of that, it just seems like every year there's some big to do about TV shows so I thought I'd try to nip it in the bud. I thought the compromise of going by story as opposed to episodes would even it out a bit. It's not too late to scrap number 6 if people would prefer it to be just movies.

The flip side is we can lord our movie only records over the everyone else's .... BWA HA HA HAAA!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Russell G

I did think of that, it just seems like every year there's some big to do about TV shows so I thought I'd try to nip it in the bud.
I'll preface this by saying the challenge is all for fun and I'm not really worried about it but I don't count TV shows because they're too 'easy' to watch. I could go through all 156 episodes of The Twilight Zone in less than a month and that would most likely give me the highest number ever in a challenge but 156 episodes at 25 minutes a piece is nothing compared to the guy that views 75 or 100 feature length movies.

In the interest of full disclosure, I admit that that I'm being hypocritical because I have no problem counting Masters Of Horror episodes but at least those run 60 minutes without commercials.

Once again, it's all for fun so it's not a big deal but I think TV shows or shorts should be counted in parentheses next to your feature score.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It's all for fun so I personally don't care. Those Masters of Horror and Fear Itself "shows" were originally meant to be Made for TV movies and that's how they were sold to their directors. They just happened to get bought by Showtime so technically they're movies.

The shorts are just a product of their time and really can't be avoided. The only way to get around them is by counting running times, which would be rather hard to do. I plan to stick to the 50s-80s this year so the average running time is going to be 90-100 minutes. In previous years I did mostly 20s-40s where the average running times were 60-70 minutes. So, a person could get the advantage by watching Universal horror movies instead of watching the F13 series. If someone watched THE SHINING, I could just about sneak in two Universals, a 1910 short plus THE UNKNOWN (Chaney).

There's really nothing to win so hopefully people don't get too worked up either way. If Russell watched 200 films but I watch 100 films, 50 shorts and 51 TV episodes, I think the only right thing would be for me to forfeit to him since this is a movie challenge. If I watch 51 tv episodes then perhaps I should beat the second place guy by at least 52 so that the advantage wasn't given by watching the tv shows. However, you could even beat this to death because The Twilight Zone episodes are 30 minutes where The X-Files are an hour. So, there's never any fair way to do things except to just have fun.

Not to mention, we're all on our word. Someone could just keep his 5-disc player loaded with movies and playing all day while he's in the background sleeping, cooking, making out with the girlfriend or fighting with the dog. Not watching a second of the movie but it is playing around him.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
So glad it is time for this again! October being my favorite month of the year and horror movies being my favorite genre.... works out perfect! I'm in!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm in, but most of the flicks I watch will probably be old chestnuts I've seen quite a few times before. I need my yearly Universal/Karloff&Lugosi fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks