What's new

Rotel 1065 or Denon 4802? (1 Viewer)

Al_Swanson

Agent
Greetings all!

I am considering a new receiver and have just seen the Rotel for the first time. I have a 3801 now and I am moving that to another room and I am looking for a replacement. I know the 4802 and have planned on using that for some time. However, I like the looks, price and reviews on the Rotel.

I need component (HD) switching, only really need 5 channel amplification and want simplicity - I am married.

So, if you have experience with either, both or just want to chime in, I'd love to hear your opinions.

I recently have a chance to do a side to side with the 4802 and the lower priced / powered Rotel RSX-972.

The Rotel sounded much warmer and fuller. If you are willing to bypass all the bells and whistles, I would go the Rotel Route. If the 972 sounded that good, then the 1065 sould really make you smile.

Scott

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Tough call here. I have owned two 4802's in my systems and extremely happy with their performance. I have heard the Rotel in the showroom and it was also extremely impressive. I guess I would continue going with the Denon because they have been consisten in delivering great sound and reliability. Again, this is just me. I really don't think you can make a wrong decision here.

BTW, what speakers are you planning on using here?

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at the Rotel RSX 1065 last weekend.The dealer put in the new Diana Krall live in Paris dvd. I was very impressed, it really makes you think twice about the need for seperates for an average room.

I believe seperates will always be better in the higher price ranges, but considering the 1065 costs

$2000 at full retail I really believe it would be hard to beat for the same amount of money. Very smooth and musical sound with all the right features and skips the ones you don't need. I e mailed Tim at Rotel and he stated that the 1065 has the same D/A setup as the 1066 preamp. I currently have an older Fosgate and Acurus seperates system and was looking to upgrade to DTS and DD. I think in my current room the Rotel could be the answer I was looking for. I have never heard a reciever sound this good.

Al_Swanson

Agent
Hey Michael -

Going to use my M&K 750 setup with my SVS 39-20.

Everyone else -

What about the wideband switching? Does it do the HDTV switching well? Have you found the limited optical connections enough?

Thanks for your help...

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I do not see a mhz specification in the 1065 manual for the video switching. It has 2 component and 5 s video or composite inputs. Having the correct number and type of digital inputs will be system dependent. It has 2 optical and 2 coaxial inputs. A lot of dvd players have both optical and coaxial outputs. My dvd has only optical outputs though. I believe I have only seen optical on most DSS dish units so it really depends on your system needs.

Keep in mind you could use a converter from Audio Authority to change an optical to coaxial or coaxial to optical for about $75. But I am unsure of quality of these units since I have never used one myself. They are on Audioauthority.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.