What's new

RetroFan - Quarterly Magazine from TwoMorrows Publishing (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member

TwoMorrows Publishing's
new quarterly magazine on 1960s, ’70s, & ’80s pop culture features celebrity columnists from all areas of fandom: Toys, comics, horror and monsters, television, and film—we cover it all in RetroFan!

Issue #1 will scratch you right where you itch, with: An all-new interview with Lou Ferrigno! The Phantom in Hollywood! Filmation’s Star Trek cartoon! “How I Met the Wolf Man: Lon Chaney, Jr.”! Goofy comic book Zody the Mod Rob! Mego’s rare Elastic Hulk toy! RetroTravel to Mount Airy, NC (the real-life Mayberry) for an interview with Betty Lynn (“Thelma Lou” of The Andy Griffith Show) and Andy Griffith Show collectibles! Plus inside super-collector Tom Stewart’s eclectic House of Collectibles, a Too Much TV Quiz, and a shout-out to Mr. Microphone! Edited by Back Issue magazine’s Michael Eury.

This looked interesting enough to share, a new pop culture magazine is coming out this June. This stuff is right up my alley, and I thought others might also enjoy it.

RF1_LRG.jpg
RF2_LRG.jpg
RF3_LRG.jpg

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While purchasing Criterions, I noticed that Barnes and Noble had issue #1 in their magazine section. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I am liking this and intend to subscribe. The articles on Lou Ferrigno, The Elastic Hulk by Mego, Star Trek:TAS, and The Phantom have all been informative. The articles are more in-depth than I presumed they were going to be for a nostalgia-style magazine, which is a nice surprise.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Sounds pretty nifty. I'll try to pick one up next time I'm at B&N.

Although (sigh), I'd have preferred if it instead covered the 20s/30s/40s. Articles on things like Buck Jones westerns, Ruth Etting songs, Fibber McGee and Molly, comic-strips like Radio Patrol, Myra North, Abbie 'n Slats, personalities from vaudeville, swing-bands like Chick Webb or Bob Crosby, pulp mags like "Dime Western" or "Phantom Detective," poverty-row filmmakers, Big Little Books, Wampus Baby Stars, dime-store record labels, Mascot serials, etc., etc. Oh, well (sigh, again).

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sounds pretty nifty. I'll try to pick one up next time I'm at B&N.

Although (sigh), I'd have preferred if it instead covered the 20s/30s/40s. Articles on things like Buck Jones westerns, Ruth Etting songs, Fibber McGee and Molly, comic-strips like Radio Patrol, Myra North, Abbie 'n Slats, personalities from vaudeville, swing-bands like Chick Webb or Bob Crosby, pulp mags like "Dime Western" or "Phantom Detective," poverty-row filmmakers, Big Little Books, Wampus Baby Stars, dime-store record labels, Mascot serials, etc., etc. Oh, well (sigh, again).
I wouldn't say that I would prefer that they cover the first half of the twentieth-century, but I would definitely subscribe to a magazine like this one that covered those years.
Might it be you have the gumption to self publish?

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I wouldn't say that I would prefer that they cover the first half of the twentieth-century, but I would definitely subscribe to a magazine like this one that covered those years.
Might it be you have the gumption to self publish?

Ha! I'm hardly up to such an endeavor as self-publishing, and I doubt the resultant 15 subscribers would equate a success. Actually, for many years I used to hope for some magazine to spring up that would broadly encompass these types of subjects into a cohesive, nostalgia-themed package. Never really happened, although there were slews of more specialized fanzines and such (which I inevitably picked up). Then, this internet era seemed to spell doom for such printed periodicals, all while those earlier eras keep receding further back in time and cultural consciousness.

Truthfully, I'm a little surprised to hear of this new attempt at a magazine, even as it's covering a more modern time-frame. TwoMorrows publishing... isn't that the same outfit that used to have a magazine devoted to Jack Kirby? I got several issues of that over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks