What's new

Reds - Any News? (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
REDS would be a candidate for a Special Edition. Next year is it's 25th Aniversary. I would guess Paramount will release it in 2006.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there are any underlying reasons why Paramount hasn't released this on DVD yet, a major award winning film with an all star cast. At one time it was announced that it was coming out on Laser but it never did. I've waited far too long for this film.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Maybe Warren Beatty is holding it up for some reason.

Agreed, it makes ZERO sense this one is not out.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I remember Paramount had it as "coming", but I think I read somewhere they were holding off for a Special Edition. It would make sense to wait for the 25th. This film was Warren Beatty's "BABY", so maybe he will contribute to any supplements and persuade his pals Jack, Diane, Gene et all to also.

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
It did come out on VHS, and it had been playing on TCM recently, but I don't think it every played on one of the networks.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Paramount recently made a new interpositive of Reds and shorty afterwards they probably made a hi-def transfer. Who knows. A DVD is long overdue. Maybe they are unsure about the encoding of this 194-minute film. Where would you make the split? I can't recall if it has an intermission. Beatty would definately want to be involved and if extras are planned, it will be difficult tracking all those stars down.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
But the supplements could be wonderful. A featurette about "The Witnesses" would be cool.

I owned the Laserdisc way back when and it was Full Frame, a Widescreen version was announced by never released. DVD hit and Paramount (and Pioneer) slowed down on Laserdisc production.

It has been ages since I have seen it. An Anamorphic transfer would be wonderful.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Reds did indeed have an intermission when I saw it theatrically in 1981. It came right after the "International" sequence.

There's something about actors turned directors that make them very protective of and nitpicky about their babies. I'd heard rumors that Warren Beatty is responsible for Reds not yet being available on DVD being very particular about its presentation and I'd heard similar rumors about Streisand and Yentl which may also account for it not being out on DVD yet, too.

Fact or gossip? Who knows? But both films deserve DVD presentations yesterday.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
According to the "Wired" column at Hollywood Elsewhere, Reds is set to be released in November. Peter Biskind talks about the making of the film in the new issue of Vanity Fair (the one with the yummy picture of Scarlett Johansson and Keira Knightly on the cover). Jeffrey Welles did a follow-up interview with Biskind, in which he mentions the DVD. Here is the relevant info:

ted:r

Second Unit
I hope that November date is true and holds. If it does, this may, in my mind at least, be the DVD release of the year.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! I've been waiting for Reds for years. I'm not sure if the VHS copy I saw was Widescreen or not. Can't wait untill November! :D BTW. Beatty is known for being picky with anything involving his career or films. In a book I read on the Toronto Film Festival, for a tribute to his career Beatty had to make sure everything was done just the way he wanted it. I say its his right to be careful with his image and place in the culture. Look what happened to Tom Cruise last year.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes

I tend to believe that (something like 7 films in the last 25 years) but how does that explain Town and Country? :D

Seriously, this is great news. I have never actually seen Reds; I have always waited for a proper widescreen presentation to exist before doing so.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Well the TCM version was not too great,Hope they
can do better with the dvd when it comes out,

I think this is one of the few Storaro shot moives
which Tecnicolor in Rome didn't do

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I just got the new MOMMIE DEAREST:SE and there is a trailer for a SE of "REDS". It will be released in October.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks