What's new

Reciever recomendation to go with M&K Speakers (1 Viewer)

I am looking for some recomendations. Currently all I have are the M&K S-125's for front L/C/R and an SVS 16-46 PCi. I plan on getting a pair of the M&K SS-150's for side surround and will eventually upgrade the fronts to M&K S-150's and get a pair of S-150's for rear surround. The recievers I am looking at are the Denon 5803, Onkyo 989 Ver2, HK 8000, or Pioneer Elite 49TX. I am also slightly considering the Anthem AVM-20 and an outboard amp. Please let me know what you think would sound best with these speakers and also which you would pick and your reasons. The only reason I am considering the Anthem route is so I can use an equaliser down the road.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Chris, your s125's will have 2 different sets of red (positive) speaker wire terminal inputs, one for "normal output" and one for "maximum output". They do work as advertised as I can clearly hear the difference. Now how they do it, I don't really know, but it works. What this means to you is that ANY receiver or amp(s) you get will work just fine with them no matter what it's particular sound characteristics are. If it's a 'warm" amp/receiver, use "maximum output" or if it's bright, then use "normal output". Look on the back of your speakers and you will see what I'm talking about. BTW, did you just win these off of ebay by chance?
I have in my bedroom system 4 M&Ks85 satellites, 1 M&K s85c center channel, and a M&K v90 sub run by a Yamaha 2092 receiver. I bought them all new back in like late '96 or '97. I recently found out that they s85 is still made today unchanged 5 or 6 years ago (although they have long since discontinued my v90 sub). That is the sign of a very good product. I think the Yamaha tends to sound a little bright, so I hooked it up to the M&K's "normal output" speaker wire terminals, and it's a great match. The M&Ks sound warm, mellow, and laid back when hooked up in this fashion, thus offsetting the Yamaha's brightness somewhat and make a great match. This system truly is AWESOME on movies.
They are truly great speakers for movies, and you will enjoy them no matter what brand of receiver you get so long as it's one of decent quality to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks