What's new

R2/R4 To Receive an (almost) Criterion DVD! (1 Viewer)

Ben Gourlay

Auditioning
It seems that the extras and commentaries on the R1 Armageddon Criterion Collection DVD are all owned by Buena Vista, and will be released onto R4 DVD on the 7th of Nov, as a 2-disc set.
This is great news, especially since Criterion doesn't licence their extras for other regions.
The only extra we don't get is the Gag reel, but that will easily be forgiven in light of the other extras!

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Ezydvd has it for US $16 ($21 with shipping worldwide)!!
And it is anamorphic...
Just rubbing some salt into those who just has R1 capability or who has the Criterion release (like me)...
Seriously, I would be interested to compare the picture
quality of the non-anamorphic Criterion and the new
anamorphic. Personally, I think the Criterion one looks
wonderful for non-anamorphic. I hate to think that I paid
that extra money just to get the name Criterion on it or
even an inferior picture...

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
To be fair, its worth noting that I prefer the look of the non-anamorphic NTSC Criterion disc to that of my anamorphic PAL release. Its difficult to put my finger on why, but I do for some reason. I think the extra resolution on the PAL disc was wasted when the picture looks softer.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
But even an anamorphic transfer can't turn a sows ear into a silk purse. This is truly a nauseating film, but then again its a Michael Bay film so what more could be expected...

mark_d

Second Unit
What's that smell?
Oh, another threadfart...
Back on topic, that gag reel is worth the price of ownership alone, and I'd rather have non-anamorphic (of this quality, especially) correct speed version than increased resolution and speedup. Just MHO.
Mark

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
and I'd rather have non-anamorphic (of this quality, especially) correct speed version than increased resolution and speedup. Just MHO.
...until you get a projector!!
wink.gif

mark_d

Second Unit
...until you get a projector!!
Not even then. I rent PAL DVDs but would never buy anything but NTSC. I can not watch my PAL Alien 3 DVD because I'm used to my NTSC LD and the DVD just sounds completely wrong. This was one of the driving forces to my giving up of PAL as a purchase option. I have an Alien box set that I paid 60 notes for gathering dust...
I'm used to NTSC Armageddon. My R2 PAL copy now sounds silly to me.
Even if I'm not familiar with the flick, just -knowing- something isn't fundamentally right puts me off.
But this has been discussed many, many times before and I don't want to start the same old arguments in an unrelated(ish) thread.
Mark

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
I have both the Criterion and the R2 2 disc set.
The R2 version is slightly cropped but not by a huge amount. Kinda pissed me off tho... :)
All in all not a bad package for the R2 brigade.
------------------
"Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
My DVD List

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
But this has been discussed many, many times before and I don't want to start the same old arguments in an
unrelated(ish) thread.
I agree, never has something so pointless been discussed to death like the NTSC-PAL debate.
But if you don't want to touch the subject as you say you should not have mentioned it in your replay in the first place. This provokes all the flaming anew.
I don't see the need to even mention the 4% speedup at all. It would be the same as when in every discussion about a NTSC DVD someone would mention that it is subject to 3/2 pulldow or any other NTSC shortcoming (which are just as valid points) and the DVD is therefore useless.
:)

mark_d

Second Unit
I don't see the need to even mention the 4% speedup at all. It would be the same as when in every discussion about a NTSC DVD someone would mention that it is subject to 3/2 pulldow or any other NTSC shortcoming (which are just as valid points) and the DVD is therefore useless.
This is a region 1 (and therefore NTSC) area. Like I said, I mentioned it so as to point out that the fact that the PAL version is anamorphic doesn't necessarily mean it is the definitive version.
You suggested I'd be looking for the PAL version when I get a projector (never happen in this lifetime, unfortunately) - I wanted to point out exactly why I wouldn't.
I think I've laboured the point long enough now :)
Later,
Mark

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I don't hear the PAL speed up, so I, along many others on the HTF who purchase PAL DVDs and live in PAL territories, could care less. As with the 3:2 pulldown effect of NTSC (which I also rarely ever notice), for me it's a non-issue. If you hear the speed-up, then the solution is simple: don't buy PAL DVDs and don't waste everyone's time telling those who chose to do so about the 4% speed up: we get it already. For the 600th time: it's my party and I'll watch PAL if I want to. :)
Back to he DVD, however, I agree with Iain that the R2 DVD doesn't quite look right, even comparing it to the Criterion version on a 16:9 monitor. It *is* too soft in comparison. The Criterion verison is one of the best non-anamorphic DVDs around, which of course makes it all the worse that it isn't anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks