What's new

Directors Psycho Date Movie Tournament (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Psycho Date Movie Tournament

The List

Audition
Battle Royale
Blind Beast
Caligula
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
Crash
Darwin's Nightmare
Der Todesking
Eraserhead
Even Dwarfs Started Small
Faces of Death
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Ichi the Killer
In the Company of Men
In a Glass Cage
In the Realm of the Senses
Irreversible
I Spit On Your Grave
I Stand Alone
Kids
Last House on the Left
Lilya 4-Ever
Naked
Possession
(1981)
Repulsion
Requiem for a Dream
Salo
Santa Sangre
Shoah
Sunrise
Tetsuo - The Iron Man
The Wayward Cloud

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE with its 40+ minute rape scene followed by four even more brutal murders.

AUDITION is one I wouldn't watch with a date fearing it might give her ideas.

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST is one I wouldn't want to watch with a date because I'd feel guilty and not "try" anything with her afterwards. I just can't see trying to score after watching this film. ;)

I'll have to think of another that I wouldn't watch with a date.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head...

Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
Crash (1996)
Possession (1981)
The New York Ripper (1982)

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Audition was my first thought so I'll second it...I suppose just about anything from Takashi Miike would fit and there's tons of "gore" focused films and plunges into deep dark depressing subjects, but I'll go with:

Jigoku (1960) - If the first hour doesn't confuse your date, the last 40 minutes will freak them out. Fantastical and gory images of a journey through Hell.

Tetsuo - The Iron Man (1989) - Best description I've heard of this film (found on IMDB) --> "Eraserhead + crack + einstürzende neubauten".

Batle Royale (2000) - Great film, but I think the slaughter of Grade 9 boys and girls might be a bit much as a first date.

Empire (1964) - Andy Warhol's single static ~7 hour long shot of the Empire State building. I haven't seen it and can't imagine ever doing so.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Shoah - 9 hours of Holocaust interviews? So romantic!

Irreversible - I Stand Alone would be even worse IMO, but more HTFer's are likely to have seen this one.

Scenes from a Marriage - This is what we have to look forward to, honey!

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - So... my place or yours?

I'll second:
Blind Beast
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

and wait a while to see what else gets nominated before using my other two.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm drawing a blank for noms, but I'll second Naked.

("The Cook, The Thief. . ." already has a second, but I would agree -- only 1 of 2 movies I've walked out on, though I lasted until the last 20 minutes.)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Some good choices! Surprised no one has nominated movies like Bad Taste and Dead Alive. "But honey, it's by Peter Jackson - you know, the guy who did Lord of the Rings!"

Not sure about Naked - what's so disturbing about it?

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

It's not that it's disturbing really, but the male/female relationships in it are so dysfunctional and abusive, especially with the Sebastian character. IIRC, all the sex scenes are borderline rape.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
2nd
Sante Sangre

I don't know about Reflecting Skin. That doesn't seem quite psycho enough. Plus it has Viggo, so it might not go over too badly.

Nominate
Sunrise (I've said it before but it bears repeating, don't suggest this as a 'romantic' movie to watch for Valentine's Day. I still hear about it and it was two years ago!)

The Passion of Anna (might be fun to trick them with the title)

Even Dwarfs Started Small (Personally I'd be THRILLED if a date took me to see this.)

Transformers (consider yourself lucky you even had a date in the first place. Hey honey, let's go see this new movie about toys I played with when I was 10. You'll love the Constructicons! See they're construction equipment that turns into giant robots! )

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll second I'll Spit on Your Grave and Battle Royale (I know a girl who hated it!).

Two more noms and seconds for everyone.

Added Meet the Feebles and Caligula to the noms list.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I love "Battle Royale". :)

I wouldn't say "disturbing", but it's one of the more "unpleasant" movies I've seen. You just feel like taking a shower after this movie. (However, I remember being fascinated by one long monologue in the film and wouldn't mind hearing that again -- I don't even recall what he was talking about as it was a long-ago viewing on VHS.)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Not in the gross-out or ultraviolent mode, but I'll nominate the following for hateful behavior which has led women to spit in Aaron Eckhart's face and does not instill goodwill between the sexes:

In the Company of Men

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I can't think of anything.... :frowning:

I'll second:

In the Company of Men
Possession (1981)

Okay, I'll nominate Martin Teller's aside I Stand Alone, which is indeed much more raw and disturbing than Irreversible, and I'll nominate (but don't expect to be seconded) 2 British wife/girlfriend-beating classics, Ladybird Ladybird and Nil By Mouth, both featuring Ray Winstone who plays a complete asshole in both films.

Actually, I think that this would be a good date movie!. I saw it recently (it's 8 hours, not 7) and there were two couples in the audience, one straight, one gay. The straight couple left after 20 minutes because the lady started bitching, but the gay couple stayed for the whole thing, slowly drifting in and out of sleep on each other's shoulders...so romantic :)

I thought that the movie was a wild experience! :emoji_thumbsup:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Re: In the Company of Men :emoji_thumbsup:

Have heard of and want to see NBM and LL. ISA sounds promising. :D

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Well, I did put that little tilde thing in front of the seven you know...:) Actually, I went to IMDB, saw that it was 485 minutes and came to the obvious conclusion that since 420 minutes was 6 hours, 485 was just short of 7...Apparently in my world hours are 70 minutes long.

Since Steve has graciously given us two more noms, I'll throw in:

Requiem For A Dream (2000) - I think it's great, but not a happy wappy kinda night out.

Darwin's Nightmare (2004) - Makes the above look like a Care Bears movie. And it's a documentary...

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
I'll second:
Caligula
I Stand Alone

And nominate:
In the Realm of the Senses - er, don't get any ideas, okay? sweetie?

Salo - since it was mentioned in the original post

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll second Salo and nominate Lilya 4-Ever (actually Moodyson's A Hole in My Heart is uglier and more downbeat, but more people have probably seen Lilya).

Edit: also nominating Ming-liang Tsai's The Wayward Cloud (mmmm, watermelon!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks