What's new

Proposed Mirage speaker system (1 Viewer)

Dale McLean

Auditioning
This forum was recommended to me by members of another board. I've been reading threads for the last week and there certainly seems to be a great number of informed members here. Hopefully someone can offer an opinion?
Anyhow, as a computer enthusiast, I recently decided to build yet another machine this time to use as a HTPC/Living Room web access/house media server (2.53G P4 on an Intel 850EMD motherboard with 1G 1066 RDRAM and Terratec 6Fire sound, Radeon 9700AIW vid, Pioneer DVRA04 burner and 600G of WD special in RAID5 w/ SX6000 controller). As a "monitor", I purchased a 36" flat screen JVC HDTV.
I'm replacing my old Yamaha AVC30 receiver (no component or Svid inputs and only supports Dolby Surround) with an RX-Z1 and now have found myself short a rather large number of speakers so I figured I may as well replace those too.
Originally, I was looking at the Mirage OmniSat system. But as was pointed out to me on a different forum these little speakers with 4 1/2" drivers may not have enough "oomph" to put out a full range of sound (even with the included 10" subwoofer). The room this is going in is 13' x 23' with a 10' ceiling.
So now, I am thinking to still go with the little OmniSats as satellites (front effects, front and read centers and rear surround) and get a set of Mirage OM5s for the fronts.
Since these have built in 250W amplifiers for the bass, I'm assuming a seperate sub woofer will not be required but will they overpower the room?
(BTW, before anyone asks, the reason I am looking at Mirage is because API is the only "high end" line the dealer I purchase my electronics from has and I always buy locally)

Han

Second Unit
You can mix and match OmniSats with OmniSat Micros and those bookshelves and towers based on the OmniSat technology.
Just go a little down on this page:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...03-page-2.html
...to see the "bigger" Mirage Omnis. They're not as "pretty", but I'd probably go with them for at least the front 3 speakers. They cost less than the OM-x series, I think mainly, because they don't need drivers in the back as well as the front of the cabinets.

Dale McLean

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. I dug a little deeper into the Omni series and overall they may be a better plan. Gonna try to visit tomorrow (hopefully) and give these a test drive. I suspect the OM5s will be too much for my room and the 260s will certainly be easier on the Visa. My goal is to have the sound system in place by the time the HTPC is completed (once I get the parts functional I have to work on the "mods")

BobSle

Auditioning
I think the new OMNI line is a great value. I'm going with a 250 L/R, CC, 50 LS/RS system for my 18x20'(8'ceiling) HT room.
If you haven't already, check the AVS Forum thread 'Pocket Martin Logans' for some more info on the Mirage's.
Also, contact sales at Mirage directly. They were very helpful discussing which model speakers to use and positioning. They even had the sound engineer working on the new OMNI line look at my floorplan and making suggestions.
Good luck!!

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
BobSle,

did you audition the 260s and 60 as well? Any comparisons between the them and the 250/50?

And I know you said the 250 was $799, is that what you paid, and in US?

BobSle

Auditioning
Ernie.bin:
Sonically they are quite similair but with a 'bigger sound' due to the larger drivers. I think it depends on the room you'll be using them in. As noted above, I contacted Mirage directly for advice and they thought the 250/50 combo would be fine for my room dimensions.

Actually, so far I've only bought the 250's, in fact they just arrived! I lucked out and got a pair for US$399.00 but this was an abberation and not repeatable, unfortunately.
For the rest of the system, I'm deciding on whether or not to drive to Canada where I can pick them up for 20% off Canadian list. After all is said and done, I would save about US$400!!

Have a great day!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks