What's new

proceed amp2/amp3 question (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
For people with similar setups, do you hook up the amp 2 to your L and R speakers and then the C, SR, SL to the amp 3

OR

L, C, R - amp 3

SR, SL - amp 2

My brother in law measured the watt/channel capacity using some equipment involving a light bulb (!) and found the amp2 to be more powerful - rated at 150 but actually measured to be nearly 200/channel at 8 ohms. This is why I was wondering how to hook them up.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The answer may be somewhat dependent on whether you are more into HT or music. I have a HPA3 on the front three channels and a BPA2 on the rears. Proceed, somewhere on their website used to recommend for more into music, an HPA2 on the L&R and a BPA3 on the center and surrounds. The surrounds during the entirety of a movie or music piece will likely not draw as much as the center. In your case, I would use the 2-channel amp on the L&R and the 3-channel amp on the center and surrounds. They are sonically very similar and unless you have 3 identical speakers up front, I would doubt that you would be able to tell. If you do have 3 identical speakers up front you could try an experiment.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
For obvious reasons, I would highly recommend using the two channel amp for the mains and the three channel amp for the center and surrounds.

rajiv

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using an HPA-2 for the mains and a BPA-3 for the center & surrounds.

The BPA series of amps is considered a better design than the AMP-2 and AMP-3 lineup. This is becasue of filtering and fault protection. I suggest you see one and discuss this with your Madrigal dealer.

The HPA series of amps are absolutely wonderful and I kick myself for not getting the HPA-3 instead of the BPA-3. The only thing better than the HPA series are actual Mark Levinson amps.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The amp series was also convertible from a 2-channel to a 3-channel amp for $1k. I'm actually checking to see if my BPA-2 for the rears can be upgraded to a BPA-3 if I go 6.1. I think it might be as would the HPA series.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have two HPA3s. But if I were in your situation, I would hook the AMP2 to the left and right speaker, and the AMP3 to the center and surrounds.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
If I remeber correctly, the amp 2 and amp 3 were monoblock amplifiers for each channel and have separate transformers and power supplies for each channel therefor it really should not make any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks