What's new

Pre/Pro or Denon 5803 for my M&K 7.1 speakers?? (1 Viewer)

AndrewVital

Agent
I Have M&K 7.1 speakers all set to go, but ran out of money around christmas time so i have been running a Sony ES 5.1 receiver and just 5 of my 7 speakers to "hold me over" until i got more cash.

Now i've got the money so i'm ready to finish my theater off.

I'm looking at the Denon 5803 receiver, because i heard that this will upmix signals that are 5.1 and 6.1 to 7.1. (Also its THX, like my whole theater, and all the other bells and whistles that go with a 4000 dollar amp.)

anyway, in looking at the specs i noticed that the 5803runs at 8ohms. The speakers are 4ohm speakers and I've heard that i shoudlnt run them at anything less (which i wouldn't want to). My sony 5.1 amp runs at 4 ohms now and as 5.1 they sound great, but i want 7.1 obviously.

I looked at the outlaw sperates for 1600 bucks, and the specs say they'll do 4 ohms, but this isn't THX and the processor doesn't seem to have all the toys (like auto calibration and DoblyDigital Ex, and DTS etc.)

SO my question after all the lenghtly explination is whats a good pre/pro? I'm looking to spend around 2000. Am i better off getting a 7.1 AV reciever and then just use that as a processor and use its preouts and go to a 7.1 amp at 4 ohms? Or is there a dedicated processor that will do it for me.

I really don't want to spend 4000 on a receiver with a fancy lcd remote when i just got a pronto that i'm gonna use for everything, so i'll just throw an LCD remote that comes with an amp into a drawer, so the remote doesnt' matter.

Anyway, if you coudl help me i'd appreciate it

Thanks,
Andrew

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
I have been running my M&K 150's (7.1 with 2 pair of ss-150 surrounds) with my Denon 5800 for nearly 4 years. The Denon is totally at ease running 4 ohms... Great combo Denon & M&K speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks