What's new

Please Help! I think lightning fried my speakers!! - Onkyo TX-SR600 owners, please? (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I am about to panic :frowning: I just got home after renting a couple of DVD's w/ visions of a nice, relaxing weekend in front of my 50H81 Toshiba, when I popped in one disc and I have NO audio!! Quickly, here's what I have (other than the tv):Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver, Panasonic RP-56 player, JBL NSP1's and JBL PB12 sub. At first I thought it was the receiver, but everything looks right, and I could hear the stereo when I switched it to that mode; also, could hear the tv when in VID3 mode. Which leads me to something really unsettling. Yesterday afternoon while I was at work, we had a really bad storm. Could that have shorted my speakers? I bought them through J&R. NOTHING is coming through ANY of them. PLEASE help!
This has never happened to me and I really don't know what I need to do.:frowning: :frowning:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
William,
Although it's possible, it's highly unlikely: all of them. Perhaps the storm (or something else) influenced your receiver settings? Or something happened to the wiring? I gather from your post that the receiver itself seems alright. And the DVD player?
Do you have another amplifier to check your speakers? Or else, take a (1.5V) battery, disconnect each speaker from the receiver and then connect it to your battery: you should be able to hear some plopping sounds, meaning they are probably OK.
Just relax and check everything. Could also be a fuse on your receiver, and so on, and so forth :).
Good luck,
Cees

Geno

Supporting Actor
how could you hear the stereo if it was your speakers ?????

check connecton from panny to Onkyo

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Geno,
Sorry- the answer to your question: I connected my headphones thru the jack on the receiver.

Geno

Supporting Actor
Ok, I see.
easiest way to see if speakers work is to do what Cees suggested. for those americans out there, 1.5 volt is AA battery :)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Cees,
OK, I checked my speakers w/the battery. They're alright. The DVD player is ok. The wiring is fine. But I went into the receiver setup and noticed that the speaker calibration settings were all returned to 0db. I fooled around w/that for awhile and tried some other things while I was there. Still nothing. During this, my daughter came home from school and told me that the power went off for 1/2 hr. during the storm. I'm thinking that a surge got it. So I look in the troubleshooting guide of the owner's manual.
"Power turns on but no sound. - Amplifier protection circuitry is activated. Contact your Onkyo Service Center." I'm guessing that's meaning where I purchased it: Circuit City. Do you know anything about this 'protection circuitry'? If they'll give me a new one? This has totally bummed me out for the weekend.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
William,

There must be a simple instruction to switch that protection off.

I suppose you already tried the simple thing: switch the receiver off-power and unplugged it from the 110V mains. And then plug it in again and switch it on in a regular way.

If that didn't work (and you also don't see a button somewhere on the back or underneath it), you could indeed try to phone to the shop where you bought the machine. But if they don't know either, you'd better try a place where they really know something about the Onkyo, perhaps an Onkyo service centre, or a main dealer.

I'll edit the header of this thread to possibly attract the attention of Onkyo owners. I'm not one of those myself, unfortunately.
At least you know now it's not really serious!

Good luck!

Cees

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Cees,
Thanks for the edit :) If you feel you need to move this thread, please do. I really didn't know in which direction to go with it, if you know what I mean.
In the interim, I'm gonna keep trying to figure this out. I purchased the extended warranty w/this and inside the brochure it says: "What the Performance Guarantee Covers 3) POWER-INDUCED DAMAGE caused by the surges that accompany brownouts, blackouts, and other power line fluctuations."
Sounds like they oughta (worse-case scenario) give me a new unit, doesn't it? Believe me, I really don't want to do this, but it's looking like an option more all the time.
Anyone?

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Well, here's an update. I called CC. They said it'd be approx. 21 days (shipped to repair ctr. in Dallas). So I got on the Onkyo website, found an authorized service center in Little Rock (20 min. away) and she said that if I brought it in today, that the technician would look at it Mon. or Tues. and barring any BIG parts replacement, I'd have it back by NEXT weekend. So, I think I'm headed there afterwhile. Anyone else have a suggestion that's better?

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
John,
Why did you feel the need to post it twice?
I got it the *first* time, OK?! And, besides, how would your suggestion help me right now? :D ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To prevent it from happening again :D You don't want to go through all this crap again do you?
What do you think of the 600 while you had it?

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Oh, I love it:emoji_thumbsup: :) :emoji_thumbsup: It does everything that I need it to do. No complaints (aside from present circumstances) whatever. I've never experienced any of the so-called 'problems' that a few others had early on. Of course, I have a really small house and it doesn't take much power to rattle the rafters here! Plenty of 'head room'on the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks