What's new

Pioneer VSX-822-K VS. Denon AVR-1613 (1 Viewer)

Norse

Grip
Real Name
Jesse Warwick
Hey Guys.
Looking to buy a new AVR after the holidays (Probably boxing day). I've come across 2 units that have the features that I like. The Pioneer VSX-822-K and the Denon AVR-1613. The Pioneer offers a little bit more connectivity than the Denon, but I'm worried about the sound quality. I've heard mixed things about Pioneer products.
Ill be upgrading from a Samsung HW-C700 Receiver. The biggest feature that I'm looking for is the HDMI Switching. Right now my Samsung unit does not switch from all HDMI Sources. It works well with my Bell Express VU receiver, Xbox and Samsung Bluray player, But does not switch my Computer or PS3 (In 1080P). I'm hoping not to run into this problem with a new Pioneer or Denon Receiver.
Anyone have any opinions on either unit? Should I consider another model? Should I consider another brand? Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have 5 sources. Are all 5 HDMI? Cause with only 4 HDMI and 5 sources I'm confused on "what" isn't being switched via HDMI, when you don't have enough to begin with.

Norse

Grip
Real Name
Jesse Warwick
All connections are HDMI. I rarely play my PS3 so it is never connected. When I do, I take the HDMI out of the bluray player to use it. The receiver sees it when its in 1080i but not in 1080p. It won't switch (repeat) from the HTPC period on any resolution. I'd like to keep the PS3 hooked up at all times, thus is why I'm leaning towards the pioneer unit.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not recognizing the PS3 at 1080P is a Samsung problem. Samsung makes lousy audio.
Either of those you chose is lightyears better than that Samstung.
Since all your sources are HDMI, you don't need HDMI upconversion.
Otherwise, as long as you aren't missing anything else you'd use (2nd zone, pre-programmed remote, height/width)...either is fine.
The only reason I see moving up to the AVR1713 is to have 5 HDMI on the back, so you don't have to connect on the front...unless you had already planned on connecting the PS3 to the front(do you carry it room to room?)

Norse

Grip
Real Name
Jesse Warwick
Perfect! Thanks for the advice!
And your preference in brand would be? Or recommendation for a better receiver at a little bit more money? I can pickup a Pioneer VSX-33 Elite for $400 used. Should I stick with something new? I'm not looking to do multi zone, but Airplay would be a nice touch.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
$400 is a good price used for an Elite VSX33.
Be forewarned though...as there was, back when, a Pioneer VSX33TXH. That doesn't have HDMI...
I've seen people list the prior Pioneer on Fleabay for $500 and the newer Elite for $200...because of the confusion.

Norse

Grip
Real Name
Jesse Warwick
Ok, I will question the seller and go from there.
I probably will stick with new seeing that new will have some type of warranty. Thanks again for all your help.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
If you want to save some money and still have a 1 year warranty, check out accessories4less.com. They sell refurbushed Denon, Onkyo and Marantz receivers.

Norse

Grip
Real Name
Jesse Warwick
I've found a pioneer vsx-1022-k which does HDMI up converting. However, reviews say the Denon sounds better over the Pioneer. Decisions, decisions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you could tell a difference side-by-side* between a 1022 and a 1913, I'd be surprised. (I think the 1913 is the lowest Denon to include upconversion).
*the differences between their room corrections...notwithstanding.
It isn't like you are buying a set of $3200/pair Zu Audio Soul Superfly...
http://www.zuaudio.com/#soul-superfly-1b-loudspeaker.php

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aegisav
Recent bookmarks