What's new

Onkyo TXSR601... Powered Zone 2, is it multisource as well, or just the line out??? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I'm trying to put together a system for a friend that wants multi zone, multi source. I know the 601 does it but on the Onkyo USA site it says the zone two line out is multisource but does not specify that the powered zone 2 is multisource.

Crutchfield also specifies you need an external amp to use zone two on a seperate source? However Crutchfield has been known to get things wrong every now and again.

Can anyone with this unit confirm if it does powered zone 2 with a separate source? I don't want to have to tell them they need another receiver or amp to power the 2nd zone.

Thanks in Advance!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
According to Crutchfield:

Zone 2 Outputs: This receiver allows you to listen to two different audio sources in two separate zones simultaneously. The remote zone (Zone 2) outputs are both powered and pre-amp level, allowing you to connect a set of stereo speakers directly to the receiver's Zone 2 speaker outputs, or connect a separate amplifier or self-powered speakers to the Zone 2 preamp outputs. With an optional IR remote control repeater system, you can independently select the Zone 2 input source and control the volume of the Zone 2 outputs.
What it doesn't say, is if you are limited in capability on the main channels when powering the second zone or how zone 2's volume is controlled when powered by the receiver. Pre-outs to an integrated amp or receiver is the better, though obviously more expensive, way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks