What's new

Old Onkyo Tx-4500 for SVS? (1 Viewer)

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old Onkyo Tx-4500 that was purchased in the late 1970's that lays around and was wondering if it would be sufficient enough to power an SVS subwoofer. I have read the FAQs at SVS but I'm still a little concerned on how the hookup could be done with it if it would be sufficient enough.
I'm not exactly sure on the specs of the Onkyo anymore and it is hardly around the web anywhere.
Thanks for helping! :D

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brent,

The Onkyo would have to be stable into a 4ohm load...and as long as you got an honest 80-100w or so...I think you would be surprised how much clean output a high efficiency design like the SVs might provide.

TV

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a bit confused on how it would hook up. I understand everything but where the 75 OHM a/v chord would plug into on the SVS receiver. I think it would go from the "sub out" option on the DD receiver but how would it plug into an older receiver that is powering the SVS?
Oh, the receiver has 170 watts written all over it so I'm assuming its about 85 watts per channel. The 4 ohms part I'm ot so sure of but it could always be carefully tried out and tested I guess!
Thanks for helping! :)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brent,
all you have to do is plug the subwoofer cable into the audio input you want to use...except the PHONO input.
TAPE IN should be fine for example. I would split it and run a leg into both the L and R inputs...this way you'll be ready to run 2 subs whenever you feel like getting the second...:)
TV

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to bother with all the questions but thanks for helping me so far! One more thing...
How would the Crossover be handled if I used that old receiver? The sub I have now has the crossover knob on it (I imagine that is because it's a powered sub) but how would an SVS CS come? Would it have something similar to handle the crossover or does it need to be done another way?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Brent,

If you are using a Dolby Digital receiver for your HT surround sound needs then you have all the bass management you need. One cable from the LFE/Subwoofer output of the main receiver to any input (except phono) on the subwoofer receiver/amp. Then speaker wire to the sub.

Hundreds of SVS owners are using good old receivers for sub power in this way.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks