What's new

Superman Returns (2006) (3 Viewers)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I think this thread put a bug in my ear - I went and dug out my Superman Boxed Set and put Returns on. It's been years since I've seen it, and I think over that time I started to buy into the groupthink that it was terrible. Actually, no - it's not (especially in light of the shitshow that is Man of Fail). The casting is dead on, Brandon Routh makes a great superman and Kevin Spacey had secretly swapped his brain with Gene Hackman's. It had Superman doing heroic, save the people things, the plane crash was brilliant, the characters all had something to do (save for the kid, who was more motivation than character) and the music was perfect.

Yeah it was a bit long, it leaned too heavy on the Nostalgia Button, I wish that Luthor's scheme was less a land swindle and more him cultivating the stolen kryptonian technology (One re-write to one scene and that would have been taken care of), and the stalker thing was a bit WTF, but it was still a vastly better movie than Snyderman.

***EDIT***

Actually, let me amend that last statement. Instead of condemning it for leaning on the Nostalgia Button, I think it would have been better served like how James Bond movies handle their continuity (well, up until the reboot). The subsequent bond flicks build on the past, maintain ties to the what came before, but plays fast and loose with that continuity. It doesn’t bother me when the familiar theme kicks in or when Bond gets in a car chase with the old Aston Martin. It’s an approach that served the 007 franchise well and I think it works for Superman Returns, too.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I did the same recently arched it on HBO Go and it was better than man of steel
superman actually save the people first and dealt with the villain lastly, there was some heart in the film and that's what was missing from MoS

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
While I don't hate Superman Returns, I think it fails on almost all levels. Routh is miscast and dull. Bosworth is miscast and too young. Spacey is miscast and too hammy. And the story is just too lazy. Not enough heroics. Not enough action. And just a big disappointment to me all around. Some nice moments but overall a vastly inferior film to Man Of Steel which got pretty much everything right.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just dug up my original review in this thread. Feelings haven't changed much.

"Incredibly disappointing.

Everyone was miscast. Routh, Bosworth, Spacey etc...No one stunk, they were just....O.K.

Long dull stretches. Very little action. Weak plot too. And an ending that just goes on, and on, and on.......There were moments of brilliance and promise but too little of each.

I loved the little nods to the '78 film but this film imo had none of that films' charm, excitement, inspired casting or sense of spectacle.

The sold out crowd seemed stunned during it's running time and there were more than a few walkouts. No cheering, laughing or clapping.

I'm in shock right now as I can't believe this is the best Singer and Co. could come up with.

The best way to desribe Superman Returns is that it's a movie where Superman just does a lot of LIFTING. That's about it.

Didn't hate it. Just, as I said, incredibly disappointing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I re-read the first 6-7 pages of this thread, good grief, I guess I enjoyed writing about this film way back then. :D

And FTR, yeah, MOS was mostly crap IMHO. :D

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Its flawed but it forms an imperfect trilogy with the Donner films for me and apart from the plane crash, I'll take it for the beautiful moment where Superman looks at his sleeping son and repeats his own father's words to him. There's more emotion and heart in that one scene than the entire Man of Steel film, and I liked Henry Cavill in the film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"It was different than the one I made. It's different. I mean, to me, they did a big incredible action-driven film and I, personally, I think it's more important to have a relationship with people you really care about and you're committed to and your own sense of 'verisimilitude'--that they have their own reality and you love them and you care about them. They approached it differently and had great success with it and I wish them everything in the world." - Richard Donner on Man of Steel

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Tino I actually am quite the opposite. I think Routh was PERFECTLY cast. He was truly Superman. I do agree that while I loved SR; I think the story was 'lazy' in that it was a retread.

But I loved it. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Simon Massey said:
Its flawed but it forms an imperfect trilogy with the Donner films for me and apart from the plane crash, I'll take it for the beautiful moment where Superman looks at his sleeping son and repeats his own father's words to him. There's more emotion and heart in that one scene than the entire Man of Steel film, and I liked Henry Cavill in the film.
Amen. Well said. That moment actually hit me right in my heart too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TonyD said:
Quote: Originally Posted by Patrick Sun Anyone else think the 2 Corgi's fate will foreshadow the fate of Lex and Kitty?

They were pomeranians

I'd give movie 4 outta 5.

Routh is great as kent but as supes he just doesnt have the same, I dont know, charisma?

spacey was perfect. his very loud "WRONG" was menacing but a few snickers both times i saw this today.

After putting down the plane and going inside supes sees louis and asks her, "Are you ok?" looking right past everyone in the plane.

it was the best non action scene in the movie and one of the best in the series for me.

I guess the fortress is no longer needed as the crystals are likely gone. the opening credit swoosh needed to be more dynamic in sound.

For the 3d imax. the sequences that had lots of fast movement like the young supes running and jumping didnt look that great.

too blurred but the plane and the new krypton boat sequence was amazing. truly puts you right into the film.
Guess I liked it.

I did watch it again a few months ago and still liked it just as much and wouldn't mind a 3D version.

Changed my mind on Routh as Supes, I now think he was just right.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I liked Routh as Superman. In fact, when he showed up on Chuck, it gave an extra weight (or at least presence) to that role...maybe more than it needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks