What's new

Spider-Man (2002) (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It just didn't do very much for me, because I thought there was too much development and not enough action. I liked the score, and I *loved* the last 30 seconds of the film where it shows Spider-Man swinging around the city, but it was too little, too late. That said, I'm really looking forward to Spider-Man 2. I'm thinking that this is going to work out like the first two Superman films, because I get bored watching some scenes of Superman, but Superman II got the development out of the way and I was able to enjoy it more.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Good discussion, guys. I pretty much loved the movie when I first saw it, and I liked it on DVD. But, I have this really weird "thing" that I get with certain movies where the idea of sitting down and watching them just doesn't appeal to me. For a long time, I never wanted to see Driving Miss Daisy again, but I gave in and watched it and really enjoyed it. That's where Spider-Man is for me right now. I think I would enjoy it again, but I just never feel the desire to fire up the disc. Maybe I need to do that tonight.

I do agree with the consensus that the goblin costume was a major disappointment. I could tolerate it better on screen than I thought I would, but I still wish it had been more like the comics. Sure, that costume would look very silly in live action, but so did the one they went with.

For the sequel, I'm right where you are, Kevin. I plan to see it, and the trailer I've seen was good, but I'm not just dying with anticipation. It'll get here when it gets here, and I'll get around to seeing it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The 2 things that ran hollow for me was the carjacker tripping over the pipe and falling to his death. A cheap device and it robbed Peter Parker of a powerful moment of whether or not to exact revenge.

The second one was the no decison at the climax where Spidey saved the cable car and MJ. It should have been set up so that he truly could only do one or the other.

Frankly I would have been happier with just his origin story. The Green Goblin could have been left for the sequel.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I watched it last night and did enjoy it. I'm glad that certain things set up at the end will obviously shape the direction of the second film. In particular:

The 2 things that ran hollow for me was the carjacker tripping over the pipe and falling to his death. A cheap device and it robbed Peter Parker of a powerful moment of whether or not to exact revenge.
That would have been interesting and in keeping with the original origin. I imagine one of the motivating factors in eliminating the guy was to keep down the number of people who know Parker's secret identity. Of course, the solution to that would have been to have him keep his mask on. There was no reason to reveal that to the burglar.

The end was kind of annoying. Just because one nutball threatened your loved ones to get at you, don't throw away your chance with MJ! Of course, that's another thing that will carry through to the sequel. No telling if they'll follow the direction the comics went with that relationship.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I just watched it for the second time. The first time was the Sunday of opening weekend, and boy, has my opinion changed of this movie. When I first saw Spider-Man, I was so bored while watching it. When I first saw the sequel, it was decent. I tagged along with my friends to see it again, and again, and again, so I've seen Spider-Man 2 four times, and I absolutely love it. The third time really hit the spot, and the fourth time was icing on the cake.

The first movie flowed so much better, and I wasn't bitter about being spoiled (I read comingsoon.net's "Synopsis" of the movie before I saw it the first time, and it mentioned Uncle Ben's death, so it totally ruined every scene he was in the first time around).

I'm looking forward to picking up both movies on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks