What's new

Spider-Man 2 (2004) (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Bless you.

Actually, a BC/SM thing could be pretty comically resolved with Maguire. Parker could finally see what a real woman looked like; she could be really hot for Spidey and his foam muscles(drop your damn voice, Toby), and then remove his mask and run screaming into the night. THE END

Hee hee. Was just thinking about when I saw the first one with my girlfriend and every time he took the mask off she said "Put it back on!"

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Like the relationships in the first 2 movies, I'm sure Maguire and Raimi would do a bang up job with introducing the Black Cat character.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

It wouldn't be an issue since, IIRC, the Black Cat was only hot for Spider-Man. Once she learned that he was regular guy Peter Parker, she was disappointed and kept wanting him to put his mask back on and go beat people up. That's how I remember it, anyway. It's been a while since I read those comics :) So if you're an anti-Tobey person, you should probably love to see the Black Cat in a movie ;)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Venom? The Black Cat? The Black Suit? eh, I'm not interested. :thumbsdown:

Especially considering the treasure trove of retro-silver age villains in their arsenal (The Sandman, Rhino, Scorpion, Lizard, Mysterio, Electro, Kraven, Vulture, Kingpin, Shocker, Green Goblin jr.)

Mysterio fucking with Pete's head would be quite interesting to see on screen.

Guess that makes me an old fart. :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Agreed. This movie series should stay true to the Lee-Ditko-Romita days of the book, which is where the great mythology of the character was created.

I'd love to see the Kingpin and Harry as the Goblin (in a better costume) in the next one.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Where is anyone getting that the film is going that way? The Black Cat has been mentioned by Raimi and Arad, but the black suit and Venom have only been mentioned by fans.

The first film was dripping with Ditko, and the second was dripping with Romita.

I have faith in Raimi to work it out regardless of which character(s) he chooses.

Take care,
Chuck

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Just expressing a counterpoint to the recent posts in this thread is all.

As long as Raimi stays on, I have faith they'll come up with something good for part 3.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Kingpin is off limits, we'll never see him in a Spider-man movie. That was part of the deal Columbia/Tri-Star made with 20th Century Fox when Daredevil came out, that since Kingpin was in DD, he'd never be in Spidey.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I finally saw it today - no complaints here. Amazingly executed from top to bottom. I initially thought JK Simmons was over the top in the first film, but now I think he's great and brings much humor to the film, much as Rosemary Harris brings class and heart to it. I hope Alfred Molina gets an Oscar nomination. Loved the first movie; this one is slightly better, if not tremendously better.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Has anyone seen the Imax version of this film? If I recall correctly, Catwoman was to replace Harry Potter for the Imax run, but instead Spider-man 2 was released.

Rich H

Second Unit
1. Who the hell is Black Cat? I'm an old marvel fan and for me Spiderman "lost it" not long after Romita finished drawing the series. (Yeah, yeah...I know...out of touch. But my heart is warmed to see Raimi starting from Spiderman's roots. And I can't stand the distorted anatomy style prevelant in most DC/Marvel comics these days - the huge muscle body, ridiculous tiny head look over and over).

2. Please, God, no Green Goblin for #3. First of all, the Goblin was just a passable villain in #1. With precious few movies to waste, I don't need to see a Goblin again. And, cripes, James Franco is one of the acting weak spots of Spiderman 2. He's terribly unconvincing as anything but a callow youth.

3. Am I the only one in the movie-going universe who is irked by Rosemary Harris (Aunt May)? Yeah, I know, stage pedigree, grand old dame of theater and all. But I find her stiff and mannered. Really "playing the part." Every time she's on screen I feel like I'm watching a theater production, vs the subtler realism brought by Tobey Maguire. Anyone? Anyone...?

BTW, the first Spiderman I liked in the theater, and once I got over some mild dissapointments it really grew on me with successive viewings on DVD. I absolutely friggin' loved Spider-man 2. I haven't felt that way in a movie since I was a kid, seeing the Star Wars sequels or whatever. Pure magic.

Rich.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Black Cat was Spider-Man's girlfriend for a while. It's been a while, but I think the real "hook" with their relationship was that she liked him as Spider-Man but was less-than-impressed with him as Peter Parker. I think she got over that after a while, though.

She was a lot like Catwoman, as far as I remember. She was more the gymnast/athlete type instead of being super-powered. Then again, I think she might have had the power of "hexing" people--giving them bad luck--to help her beat them in a fight. Or, that might have been someone else.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
You're more or less correct about Black Cat, Greg.

She started out as a thief, stealing for the thrill rather than for the money. She became infatuated with Spidey, even going as far as building a shrine to him at her apartment.

Early on she had no powers, just a very good gymnast/athlete, but she would plan her crimes out so well in advance and set booby-traps along the way, that it appeared that she had a bad luck effect on whoever was trying to stop her.

I haven't read much with her beyond the earlier stuff, but I know when she found out who Spidey really was, she had almost no interest in Pete. I also believe that she was eventually given powers by the Kingpin, but I'm not sure why she actually agreed to work with him. She also dated Flash, which really got under Pete's skin, cause he thought she was gonna hurt him.

Spidey talked her into going straight and, last I heard, she's a private detective in some other city.

I was never a big fan of her character, but I think she might fit in ok in the movie universe, if they do it right. I just don't want to see a Spidey sidekick in any way.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Does anyone know what current dvd has the full theatrical trailer for S2? I know I've heard it's on some newer releases but don't know which. I've got the teaser but really love the full theatrical trailer they played before Harry Potter 3.

Thanks in advance! :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Tim,
I know 13 Going on 30 doesn't have it :frowning: They have White Chicks, and SEVEN other Columbia/Tristar films, but not S2.

Does Hellboy?

I'd like to know as well,
Chuck

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks Chuck. I was hoping to find it on the 13 Going On 30 dvd, but struck out.

I was looking at my recent dvd purchases and have only 1 Columbia/Sony Pictures dvd.

I guess we'll have to wait for the S2 dvd although I was wanting to wait for the eventual Superbit version. I have it on my pc in fullscreen (45 mb sized) and looks great but want a dvd version for the projector.

I think this trailer may be one of my alltime favorites. Especially love the choral part near the end.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good news. Decided to rent Hellboy last night and see if the Spider-Man 2 trailer was on there and IT IS!

It's on disc 2. Some movie rental places will make you rent each disc separately, but Hastings has both discs together.

The trailer just looks absolutely fabulous (anamorphic) and the sound is in Dolby Digital 5.1. I must have watched it about 5-6 times in a row. :D

No doubt it will be on the Special Edition dvd that will arrive this fall. Guess I'll have to just double dip again because I will own the eventual Superbit version too.

According to IMDB, S2 was filmed in 2.35:1 but the trailer was 1.85:1. Anyone know for sure? It seems the entire screen was used to it's limit at the theater instead of being brought in for 1.85 films. I hope it's the wider ratio as I think these tend to look better on my projector. How's that for being selfish! :b

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Spider-Man 2 was definitely 2.35 in the theater. I believe it's common practice to have trailers for multiple ARs to make it easier to match prints.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread...

But are there some scenes missing from the Superbit edition of this movie? My wife and I seem to remember a couple of scenes in the theater that are not on the DVD.

1. MJ giving Peter the tickets to her play.

2. Aunt May asking about the "free toaster" while at the bank for a loan.

Anyone else notice this or are we hallucinating?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks