What's new

*** Official FEVER PITCH Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator

I saw this along with Sin City for the 2nd time over the weekend & I also noticed the omission of that scene but I am already used to that big Hollywood ploy of showing deleted scenes during trailers & tv spots but still liked the movie except for the ending but I still think it was one of the Farrelly Bros best but not better then their other sports movie.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Saw this last night. Very cute film, GREAT baseball movie. I'm a baseball fanatic. This one gets all the baseball details "right", IMO. My wife said to me about five times during this movie: "that would be you". (I'm not sure any of 'em were compliments ;))

The relationship story between Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon is pretty good, too, even if the way they play it, it does seem Barrymore would be better off w/o Fallon's obsession.

I especially liked the little glimpse into each of their places of work. Barrymore really conveys to the high school kids that Fallon brings to her office the "magic of numbers" in her job. And the one scene of Fallon teaching math in high school shows how he got the kids excited about a subject many dread.

Little stuff, to be sure, but it helped the film "work" for me.

Nowhere near as "off the wall" as most Farrelly Bros films, but Fallon has enough one-liners that are really funny (mostly in the very early "courting stages", before his RedSox obsession emerges) to keep it entertaining even for non-baseball fans.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was checking out an Australian page and noticed "Fever Pitch" is coming to Australia as "The Perfect Catch." Huh? The team wins the World Series and they reference a "catch." Maybe a "steal" (Dave Roberts), but certainly not a catch. Terrible re-titling, doesn't fit at all.

http://www.perfectcatchmovie.com.au/

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but in the UK/Australia, a "pitch" in sports terms refers to a soccer football field, as in the original book's title. Baseball's slowly getting more popular down under, but still needs some explaining. I figure "catch" emphasizes the love story well and doesn't require as much baseball knowledge.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Over the weekend, I was passing by a cinema and saw a poster saying the same thing, "The Perfect Catch".

Can't understand why they felt the need to re-name the movie. Even if you accept that "pitch" means different things when referring to football and baseball, so what? The "Fever" part of the title conveys much more than "Perfect".

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, it's not as if baseball is as foreign to Aus as cricket is to US. One of my cousins played in their pro leagues a few years ago. The title just doesn't fit, if they had to change they could have come up with something better than this.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the Colin Firth-starring version got much more play in Oz than it did here in the US? That only came out eight years ago, which doesn't make it current, but the name on a marquee could certainly suggest "something I've already seen on video".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks