What's new

Non-toxic paint for HT/bedroom? (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Is there any non-toxic paint available? A yellow-headed amazon bird is in the next room and I'm rather concerned about the harmful effects regular paint will have on him. I'm planning on stripping all the wallpaper off (icky wallpaper) and painting the walls (the HT room will also double as my bedroom). Can any of you recommend decent wall paint that's non-toxic to birds?
Apologies if this has come up before. I did a search and the search yielded no results (unfortunately).
- Brian
------------------

"My theory is that Lucas is a giant DVD freak himself. The man loves movies, and he loves cutting-edge technology, so of course he loves DVD. I think it's a matter of personal pride that he will not allow plain old basic DVD releases of his great works that set the modern standard for technical excellence, and he genuinely wants to make them the most bad-ass, pulse-pounding DVDs of all time. If we take Lucas at his word, there's nothing sinister or underhanded about his motives at all. It may well be that DVD freaks hate Lucas only because he is one of them." -- Lardbiscuit

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
As long as the bird isn't allowed to chew on the walls, any paint will do. However, you will need to find a place other than your home while you strip your wall paper (when using solvents to strip the glue) and repaint the room because of the fumes that will permeate the home. I would even give it a week before bringing the bird back home just to be on the safe side.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Frederick hit it on the head.
When I read your post I was thinking it would be about children but in this case I am sure it is close enough to children right? :)
Make sure that you take the bird to a friends or families house before starting anything even removing the old wall paper. Then redo the room and make sure the fumes are completely gone (not real good for you to inhale either.) After moving your bird back into the next room keep a close eye on it to make sure there are no adverse affects to it.
KyleS
------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
i have read that if you add a few drops of vanilla to your paint it will reduce/remove the smelli guess if you add enough your room would smell like vanilla
------------------
"And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
The vanilla will make the room smell better, but it is only a "mask" for the other odors. It does NOT eliminate any toxic effect of the "bad smells".
According to test results in a leading consumer magazine, one paint brand that has reletively less fume release than other brands is BEHR. And it is readily available at Home Depot. I used several gallons painting inside my house, and even though I am usually sensitive to paint fumes (chemical allergies) I had no ill effects from using this brand.
I did run a large exhaust fan (normally used to keep air moving in the garage) during the time I was actually painting and let the house "air out" (left the windows open for several hours thereafter), but that is a precaution I would advise with any paint or solvent use indoors.
Burke
------------------

JeromeKnight

Auditioning
Although I'm inclined to agree that any paint will do, I would hate to be responsible for any harm to your bird..... I would recommend you ask the same question to a vetrenarian :)
------------------
-- Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks