What's new

No Sound From TV Speakers....I'm Wondering Why? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps someone can help me here (I'm stupid by nature :D ) ......

All of my video components funnel into just ONE audio input on my TV (Video 1), which provides NO sound through the TV's speakers.

However, for some reason which I can't understand, while playing a DVD (through the very same Video 1 input source on the TV), the TV speakers DO provide sound.

How can this be? :confused:

Why am I getting TV speaker sound from DVDs, but NOT from OTA broadcasts or the VCR, which both are ALSO plugged into the "Video 1" audio jacks (routed through receiver)?

Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
David,

I don't quite get your post. How do you have all of your various AV inputs going into Video 1? Do you mean that you choose to use only one AV input on the TV while others are available? You must use the Audio Out on the TV set for normal TV sound. Running that to the TV/SAT/DBS input on your receiver and using that selection when viewing will give you sound. Are there other inputs on the back of your TV set? You need to make use of them.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Are there other inputs on the back of your TV set? You need to make use of them.
I have one other set of inputs (Video 2). But there's no reason to use them whatsoever, since I'm using currently only composite video cables, and not mixing it with either S-Video or Component. Everything I have hooked up (DSS/VCR/DVD) works fine, plays fine, video is fine, through just the Video 1 source, EXCEPT this TV speaker difficulty.

Of course, it's really not THAT big of a deal....since the TV speakers are not real great anyhow. It's just that I'm puzzled as to why I have sound on DVD, but not on anything else.

There are also two "Variable Output" jacks on the TV. (Apparently for "Audio Out"; a red-colored jack, and a white). What does "Variable Output" mean anyway? When would I have a need for these? And where do ya hook 'em to? (I have no more inputs avail. on receiver.)

You see, I AM getting TV speaker sound from "Video 1", but (for some reason) ONLY when playing a DVD. This is what I cannot fathom.

I'm using only Video 1 so I can eliminate the TV remote entirely, which I have, since there's no reason I'd ever need to switch between input sources.

I just need a technical explanation as to WHY only the DVD Player is capable of delivering the sound to the TV speakers through the "Video 1" input source?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's because you have the wrong thing hooked to the TV's input.

The receiver should have a separate video/audio output, it's not Video1 or Video 2, or whatever. That's what needs to be connected to the TV's input. It's from that specific output of the receiver that will route all the other sources through the A/V output to feed into the TV's input.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The receiver should have a separate video/audio output...
That's what I'm using.

Audio L/R Out from Receiver ....

.... to: Audio L/R "in" on TV (Video 1).

Shouldn't I now be able to hear the TV speakers when watching OTA shows + VCR (when tuned to "Vid. 1")?

Jeff Drumm

Grip
OK, there's still more to this than meets the eye. I just want to make sure we're all on the same wavelength here. Let me know if any of the statements below are false:
  • All video outputs from your DSS, DVD, VCR, etc. are connected to video inputs on your A/V receiver.
  • All *audio* outputs from those same devices are connected to *audio* inputs on the A/V reciever.
  • The receiver's video output is connected to the Video 1 input on the TV.
  • The A/V receiver's line-level audio output is connected to the set of audio inputs associated with the Video 1 connector on the TV.
  • When selecting which video source to view, you use the A/V receiver's input selection rather than the TV's.
OK, if everything above is true, the receiver isn't routing audio appropriately when the input selection is made. This is probably a user misconfiguration on the reciever; most modern units allow you to assign which audio source is associated with each video source. Compound that with the possibility that some of your sources are digital TOSLink optical or coax connections, and whether you use that or analog audio input from your components is also selectable.

I'd dig out the manual for the receiver . . .

--
- Jeff

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If your receiver doesn't have a separate A/V output strictly for the TV Monitor hookup, then you are using the A/V output for the receiver's Video 1 input/output (which is only going to have DVD audio coming out of it). The Monitor A/V output is where all of the video sources and audio sources are funneled through the receiver into a monitor/TV.

I think you have an older DPL receiver, not a more modern DD/dts receiver. Tell us which model you have.

It may be that your old receiver is only capable of funnelling the various Video sources through the receiver's Video output (my old Kenwood Dolby Surround receiver was like this), but when it comes to funnelling the audio, there is no separate audio output, and the receiver was relying on people to simply play the audio through the receiver's hook-up to the speaker, not also feed the TV's audio inputs.

For the older DPL receivers (and current DD/dts receivers) It was common for the receiver's Video 1 and Video 2 connections to have both inputs and outputs (for connecting to VCRs that would accept the inputs to record from other sources connected to the receiver's other inputs). If you have hooked up the Video 1's audio output to the TV, and Video 1 is the DVD connection, that explains why you only get DVD audio. When you switch the Receiver's input to DSS, the video is switched out on the TV monitor output, but then the DVD audio is switched off because the receiver has switched to the DSS audio output, which has no audio output connected directly to the TV.

If you have a Tape loop hookup, then hook up the Tape's audio output to the TV's Video 1 audio input. That output should funnel any input's audio feed chosen on the receiver to the TV's Video 1 audio input.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks very much, Jeff and Patrick, for your detailed posts.

I understand much more clearly now (I think :)).

Patrick...Yes, you guessed correctly. I have an older Pro-Logic Receiver, which I like very much (good processor of sound). And, yes, you're right, in that there are not separate audio outputs on the receiver. Just one "Audio Out". ... Which, incidentally, is labelled as the "VCR Audio Out" output. Which is another reason why I was so perplexed as to WHY, when viewing a VHS tape, I'm getting no TV sound, when the output is routed specifically through a "VCR" labelled jack. But, evidently, it's just a label and not accurate.

If you have hooked up the Video 1's audio output to the TV, and Video 1 is the DVD connection, that explains why you only get DVD audio.
Well, there is NO "Video 1" audio output, per se, on the receiver. The ONLY audio output is labelled "VCR/Tape 1". This must route ALL the sound (DSS/VCR/DVD) to the TV's "Video 1" audio L/R input jack.

But WHY do you suppose the DVD audio was chosen as the ONLY sound the receiver will decide to allow to the TV? Is it because of the top "quality" of DVD? And that most people would prefer the sound on DVD, rather than OTA / VCR?

I can't locate the owner's manual for this receiver, which is an Optimus STAV-3560 (circa 1998, and a darn good sound processor for a lesser-known brand). Anybody know how I could locate the manual on-line?

Anyway, thanks for the info guys. I appreciate you taking the time to help out with my internal stupidity. :)

Jeff Drumm

Grip
Optimus is a Radio Shack brand . . . I checked their web site, and they've got manuals/troubleshooting tips/parts lists for some of the "surrounding" model numbers but not the STAV-3560. Maybe one of the models close in number to what you've got might have an owner's manual suitable?

Don't know why DVD would be the only choice they'd pipe to the VCR audio out . . . wierd.

Time to relegate the receiver to the listening room, and get something new for the theater? :)

--
- Jeff

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Optimus is a Radio Shack brand . . . I checked their web site, and they've got manuals/troubleshooting tips/parts lists for some of the "surrounding" model numbers but not the STAV-3560. Maybe one of the models close in number to what you've got might have an owner's manual suitable?
Correct...a Radio Shack purchase it was.
Thank you, Jeff. I'll try to check it out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How many inputs? You're going to have to move the DVD A/V input to a different input on the receiver for that one output to route the audio correctly (maybe).

Otherwise, you're stuck with an old receiver that was designed poorly, or was never intended on allowing audio to be switched through the preout, and reliant of just routing the audio per input by powering the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks