What's new

Nintendo 64 Racing software question for my 9 yr. old daughter (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hi everyone,

I have a 9 year old daughter who is wants a Nintendo 64 for Christmas. The reason: she absolutely wants the Pokemon software that is made for the Nintendo. It's all fine with me, so I bought one and some Pokemon software to go with it. What I want to know is if anyone knows of any race car software for Nintendo that a 9 year old might enjoy. I'm sorry for my total ignorance of gaming hardware/software.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Go for Mario Kart. It's a cutesy fun racing game using the Super Mario characters - eg Mario, Luigi, Peach, etc - in a simple to pick up racing environment. The essence is on *fun*. It's upto 4 players too, and makes for a fun multiplayer experience.

An alternative to that would be Diddy Kong Racing - similiar in style, there's more to do in the single player game than in Mario Kart.

My neices & nephew grew up playing Mario Kart - first on the SNES & then the Nintendo 64 version, they absolutely love it.

Stephen L

Second Unit
Dana: I 2nd BrianB's recommendation for Mario Kart , its a fun game your daughter will love it.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Thanks Brian and Stephen. And Mario Kart it is. Hey, maybe even I'll learn to play the game. Up to now, I've been too intimidated. She'll have a blast, I'm sure.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also say DKR. Lots of great gameplay and such.

I say good job on getting your girl into games. We need more of them.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Diddy Kong Racing is an absolute gem. A truly refreshing approach at a time where Mario Kart clones were big business. I'd take that over Mario Kart 64, I must admit.

Dan (UK)

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
While Diddy Kong Racing looks better and has a few more features than Mario Kart 64, I feel the gameplay of Mario Kart 64 is far superior. Especially when playing with 2-4 players.
Dana here are some N64 games I believe both you and your daughter will enjoy playing together:
Pokemon Puzzle League
Mario Tennis
Mario Party series
Smash Brothers
Here are some single player games that are fun as well.
Super Mario 64
Legend of Zelda series
Paper Mario

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
DKR was more about completing goals and such, whereas Mario Kart was a more serious racing game. Both are good though.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I'll chime in on the DKR vs. Mario Kart 64 thing. I felt that DKR was a far superior single player game in every respect. Mario Kart 64 was far too easy and short in single player mode. ( maybe that would be a good thing for your 9 year old...but it's easy to underestimate the videogaming ability of a youngster ;) ( Multi player was good in both, but it seems most people find Mario Kart more enjoyable in that mode.
At today's prices, I'd pick up both of these games. :emoji_thumbsup:

SamC

Agent
I will have to add my $0.02 here. I owned both and there are valid points mentioned by all.

I found that DKR is better for longevity, esp in the single player mode, however I found the gameplay to be far more exciting in MK, especially in 2-4 player modes. I couldn't count the number of times I have sat up with friends having "best of 3, best of 23, best of 183..." nights.

I would have to recommend MK overall if you are only getting one game, but Dan's suggstion of both is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks