What's new

NHT Owners Please Help w/Decision (1 Viewer)

Eric A

Second Unit
I posted this over at AVS and thought I would throw it out to everyone here as well.

Well, I'm about to take the plunge on a pair of 3.3's or VT-3's. The problem is I cannot decide which way I should go. I have heard the 3.3's and know I love them but I have never heard the VT-3's. I have read all the reviews on both speakers. I few things that play into this is I have 1.5's now that I will be moving to the sides and will add an additional pair for the rears. I also have an AC-1 that I will use as a center until I can afford an AC-2 or VC-3. I have 2 Earthquake subs that I will also integrate. I will be running these with Rotel amps and a Lexicon DC-1v4 which I will upgrade to the new MC-8 when it comes out. That is pretty much my system. I will probably upgrade the amps later as well but I want this speaker purchase to be my last for quite a while. Room placement will not be an issue as I will have a dedicated room. I will use these for 50/50 HT/Music but the music is broken out into 50/50 surround/2 channel. That about sums it all up but feel free to ask more questions if needed. Hopefully many of you either own the speakers or have owned them. Any input is appreciated but mainly looking for honest comparisons. Also any input on deals is appreciated. I have some good ideas on where I will purchase them but I am always looking. Thanks.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I have 2.9s and if you have enough space, 3.3s are going to be great! I'd really recommend AC-2 to go with them if you can get your hands on one, it's a much better match than AC-1.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The 3.3 are some of the best speakers I've ever heard and I would be surprised if the VT 3 could best them. Another nom for the 3.3 here (just wish I was able to afford them as you could, I'm definitely green with envy on your choices).

Eric A

Second Unit
Thanks for all the input guys. I am definitely going for the 3.3's. I spoke with Dave MacCallum at NHT at length yesterday and he pointed me at the 3.3's as well. He stated that the VT-3's were an improvement over the 3.3's as far as placement options because they were powered but he said that if you have the flexibilty go for the older 3.3's. He also told me that Jack Hidley and other engineers all owned either 3.3's ar 2.9's. Dave worked very closely with the 2.9 project and he explained the differences between the 2.9s and 3.3s. The 3.3s are hand built 1 pair at a time in perfectly matched pairs. The tweeter and the mid are matched to within .03db and the 2 woofers are matched to within .5dbs. After they are assembled they go through extensive testing and performance checks. The 2.9s were built in runs of 50 lefts and the 50 rights on an assembly line. The components are not handmatched and they are not matched pairs. The tweets and mid are spec'd to within .5dbs and the woofers are not spec'd. Once assembled each speaker was tested to a standard and then shipped. So you can see your chances were slimmer in getting a perfectly matched pair of 2.9's than 3.3's. He said that there were a few engineers that have 2.9's that did all the matching themselves at the plant and basically had 3.3 quality in 2.9s but they could do that because they worked there. As for being able to afford them, I have waited since 1996 when I first heard them to buy these speakers. Good things come to those who are patient, I guess. I still do not have them yet so something could fall apart. I am trying to wait on a pair of 3.3's in Black or Mahoghany east of the Mississippi or locally that I can purchase. I am learly of cross country shipping on something this expensive. I have a source for 3.3s in Sycamore but I do not like that finish. Anyway, thanks for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks