What's new

New Queen CD "Stone Cold Classics" (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
tracklisting:

1 Tie Your Mother Down
2 Fat Bottomed Girls
3 Another One Bites The Dust
4 Crazy Little Thing Called Love
5 We Will Rock You
6 We Are The Champions
7 Radio Ga Ga
8 Bohemian Rhapsody
9 The Show Must Go On
10 These Are The Days Of Our Lives
11 I Want It All
12 All Right Now
13 Feel Like Making Love

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1380213

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=319102139

Notice that amazon.com has a picture with the new title (formerly "A.I."):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Tim L

Second Unit
are these new recordings made with paul rodgers (the paul rodgers songs)?-just curious-saw them here in MA- the show was awesome-they can still rock after all these years!
Tim

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
No intent to thread fart here, as I'm a long time Queen fan, but there has to be at least a dozen Queen greatest hits packages and collections out there already. Unless this has Paul Rodgers on lead, will anyone buy this?

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
nope, i wouldn't buy it either way. i guess i just don't get it, but paul rodgers has absolutely nothing to do with the queen i grew up with.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The new album has a bonus track - Scraping the Bottom of the Barrel. :frowning:

If the record company has the time to dredge up yet another compilation, why not spend the time and energy on what the fans really want - i.e. live shows? Even if the surviving video/film stock is poor, surely they could issue audio albums of key shows?

Sorry, Michael, not meaning to thread fart and thank you for the information.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
What did the "AI" signify anyway? American Idol? Artificial Intelligence?

Another compilation with the same old same old and two Paul Rodgers songs. Big deal.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well I'm pretty darn sure these songs have not been re-recorded with Paul singing lead.

Frankly, I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind such a compilation....unless the original title "A.I." had something to do with "American Idol" in that the show will be having a "Queen week" and those are the songs the folks will be singing.

Anyhoo, if that tracklisting is indeed the real thing and they're just the standard studio tracks, this is easily the worst Queen CD ever released.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
That original "AI" album title makes sense now, there WILL be a Queen theme night on "American Idol" April 11th/12th(!) Note the 11th is the same day the CD is to be released......

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
actually, I lost almost all of my cd's in a fire a year ago (luckily I had everything backed up on mp3's, but still).... for $9.99 next week, if these are the original versions, I'm buying it. Has the killer tracks from both "Classic Queen" and "Greatest Hits". Sounds like the perfect one-disc Queen collection. All of my favorites are on this (except Under Pressure, but I have that on Bowie's Platinum Collection anyways)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I agree with you totally, but I guess the two Paul songs are a nice added bonus because I would never buy a Free or Bad Company hits collection.

Awhile back I was chastized by a "Queen Lamb" for stating my opinion that "No Freddie = No Queen". I'm sorry, but Queen without Freddie is like Krist Novaselic and Dave Grohl reuniting Nirvana with new lead singer. I know that Brian May and Roger Taylor need to pay the bills, but aren't catalog sales still huge? As far as I'm concerned, "Queen" ceased to exist after Freddie's death in November 1991.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with May and Taylor touring or recording with another singer -- if they want to play, why shouldn't they?

Now, I TOTALLY understand why people have a problem with them calling themselves Queen. (And "Queen +"? Riiiight.)

I'm not sure how much the world needs yet another Queen compilation, either.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

my beef is all about the name "Queen". Without Freddie, "Queen" doesn't exist. Hell, when John Deacon didn't participate either, makes me wonder why they didn't just make a new name.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

It's just a name but it's one Brian and Roger worked very hard to make as recognizable as it is today. Why should they abandon their baby?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

Creed aren't half the legends (oh hell, 1/10th the legends) and when their lead singer left, they made the smart choice in changing their name. Same with goes with Rage Against The Machine=Audioslave, Audioslave is all the members of Rage except Zach de la Rocha... Queen only consists of two of the members of the original band. Hell, you even have Sweetback, who still play with Sade and have so for twenty years... but when they play without her... they use Sweetback instead of keeping "Sade" when she's not working on the albums.

So you're telling me that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr should team up, bring in two new guys, possibly someone whose had some success on their own, and go and tour as "The Beatles"? That to me is no different than Queen without Freddie and without Deacon's participation.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The fact that Creed and Rage aren't nearly the brand names that Queen is kinda supports Michael's point. (Still doesn't make it right!)

Calling themselves by a person's name without that person involved would be a little more bizarre than using the group name, don't you think? :D That'd be like the E Street Band touring as "Bruce Springsteen" without Bruce!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

It is perhaps worth pointing out that both Taylor and May sang on the Queen records, and a tidy number of the group's biggest hits were written by May and Taylor. They thus have a perfect right to use the name.

For all that, I agree that emotionally there's a feeling of unease about them using the name 'Queen'. But nobody is trying to deceive anyone with this. And if you don't like it, don't buy the product!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Michael, where did you hear this? Given the original artwork for the CD it DOES make sense, but not sure where the story started. And I wonder if Brian and Roger will be playing on the results show....that's just me thinking out loud.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's posted on the official American Idol website -- next week is Queen week! I wonder who the guest performer will be, though.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
OK...let's assume that the entire Queen catalog is fair game...who should sing which song?

Chris: "Tie Your Mother Down" or "Keep Yourself Alive"
Ace: "Good Old-fashioned Lover Boy" or "You Take My Breath Away"
Mandisa: "Somebody to Love" ("Fat Bottomed Girls" was TOO easy!)
Elliot: "Spread Your Wings" or "You're My Best Friend"
Still pondering what the others should sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks