What's new

need suggestions for receivers to audition in the $500.00-$1000.00 range. (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Just need a list of receivers to audition in this range. I was going to get the HK 520 a year ago and then my HT hobby got put on hold. I am leaning toward the 525 if the sound is still similar. I will be pairing this receiver with the jbl studio series speakers (s-38's and s-center)Also what are the positives and negatives to each receiver that you suggest?

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely listen to the 325 as well-- they both have a lot of the same sound features and the awfully cool bass management (triple crossover) that can even be applied to the 6 channel inputs (DVD-Audio or SACD!!)

Also, check out the Onkyo TX-SR700 and 800. I'm trying to decide between these 4.

My pros and cons (not even a close to complete list, just a quickie of what I'm currently thinking about with respect to each):

The HK purports to have a "warm" sound-- to me, this means that it alters the sound going through it, which I don't like. In practice, I don't hear it-- all four sound _excellent_ to me, which is why most of the stuff below is about features.

The HK has much better bass management, but it can only set the delays for the speakers in pairs, which means that you must place both your fronts and rears symmetrically w/ respect to the primary listening position. The bass management kicks butt, though. The HK also has discrete on/off codes.

The Onkyo lets you set different distances for the left and right speakers, which is good for my setup, as it is assymetrical. It also has (at least by specs), the cleanest sound (I can't tell the difference between it and the HK, though). No discrete on/off codes-- other discrete codes, though. It converts composite to S-Video on its video switching, which lets me convert for my old VCR-- bonus!

Until I found out about the bass management on the HK, I was going to get an Onkyo. Now I'm back in a quandary...

Me

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
NAD T752 and T762 (if you get a good deal) should be in that price range. They are worth checking out.

I would also look at the Marantz 7300.

Rich

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer Elite 45TX definately
Sony STRDA4ES
HK 525
Onkyo SR800

You could go with a less expensive Receiver and amp though. How about the Pioneer 811S and a Parasound 855 AMP for a Receiver amp combo?

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the responses. I am a little confused about the symetrical aspect of the HK. Is this common for receivers to be set up this way or is it unique to the HK 525? This receiver will be set up in a room that is a perfect rectangle (aprox 11x20). Will this type of room work well with a symetrical receiver like the HK? Since the receiver is symetrical does this mean the only good listening postion will be the so called sweet spot (I would like the other spots in the room to be good listening spots as well obviously)? I am a little confused. I am leaning a little toward the HK right now because I like the sound, but if the symetrical aspect is a BIG negative I will reconsider my choices. Thanks again for the help.

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding audio "sweet spots", I can't imagine that the receiver will have nearly the affect that your speakers do.

I definitely recommend that you seriously consider the HK. IMO, the high current receivers have a uniquely clean and accurate sound.

Have fun,

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks