What's new

need advice on using denon 4802 as a pre/pro (1 Viewer)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a Denon AVR 4802 and I want to upgrade to seperates and would like to take it one step at a time and invest in some good amps first, then a real pre/pro further down the line.

I'd like to get a hefty 2 channel amp for the mains, and add another 5 channels or another pair of stereo amps further down the line... I was thinking maybe $1500-$2000 for the stereo amp then another 1500-$2000 for the remaining channels. or roughly $3000-4000 total for amps.

I'm open to the option of a 7 channel amp as well, but would like to get more out of the front channels as I listen to a lot of 2 ch music.

Please keep in mind that some day down the line, I'd like to get a real pre/pro and retire the denon 4802 to the bedroom. At the moment the anthem avm 20 and the b&k reference 50 look attractive, but who knows I might splurge and get the krell someday (not likely, but i can be impulsive)... so a little "future proofing" would be helpful...

I'm also open to dealer demos/audigion mint/near mint used equipment...

Thanks everyone, hope I'm not asking too much...

Chip E

Screenwriter
Well, i use a B&K Reference 200.2 amp for my main's and a Reference 200.5 amp for the center and four surround's. I do you use the Ref50 pre-pro. Sounds incredible, lot's a power-headroom.
The 4802 will work fine as a pre for now. Here's the links to my amps if you'd like to check it out:

200.5 - 200.7 page - http://www.bkcomp.com/ref200_57.asp

Use the navigation bar on the left to check out the 200.2

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
How does the B&K Reference 200.2 compare to the Parasound HCA 2200 MK2 or Conrad Johnson MF2250A in terms of price / performance.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
JohnnyN,

I am not an expert but believe I can help. I use to use the Denon 4802 and then last March I upgraded the amps with a B&K Ref. 200.5 and started using the Denon as a pre/pro. This improved my system with more head room, better sound staging and a whole lot clearer/crisper voicing from the center. I was still not totally happy so about a month ago I bought the Aragon Stage One. This made a world of difference in side to side and front to back panning. Everything opened up and sounded so much clearer. I also bought the the Denon 2900 and have been increasing my 2 channel listening and SACD/DVD Audio listening. I was not a firm believer in seperates but I am now.

With that budget you have a lot of options. What speakers do you currently own? That will give you an idea on the budget you should spend for seperates.

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
How about purchasing the pre/pro first and using the 4802 as the amp. Then later down the road swap out the 4802 for a better amp.

My personal opinion is that the pre/pro makes a bigger difference then the amp. (This goes for movie watching not 2ch music playback)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks